• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best cheap planar headphones recomendation?

arpinnurmela

I'm a Verum One owner and absolutely love these headphones. However, I wouldn't recommend them for mastering. The Verum are more about enjoying the music rather than making the music. Plus there's a slight upward tilt in the upper-mids that I think might interfere with getting the right mix to reproduce on other equipment. Perhaps using equalization would help if you really like the Verum.

OP
andivax

andivax

Forum Donor
If you are mixing or mastering engineer, you MUST use EQ correction for your headphones to make it sounds linear
After correction I can mix on Verum 1 with pleasure and result is very transferabile.

arpinnurmela

If you are mixing or mastering engineer, you MUST use EQ correction for your headphones to make it sounds linear
After correction I can mix on Verum 1 with pleasure and result is very transferabile.
Right on Andivax. I'll have to try this out. Do you have an equalization software that you can recommend to me?

OP
andivax

andivax

Forum Donor
Right on Andivax. I'll have to try this out. Do you have an equalization software that you can recommend to me?

Please check an attached files.
1) FFP preset for Fabfilter Pro-Q 3. Notice it is not linear but Harman curve so it will already sound good, balanced and with MUCH bass
2) If you are happy dSoniq Realphones correction software user please kindly check my preset Verum Audio Verum 1 - Standard Andi Vax and use MARKED WITH RED corrections.

Enjoy! )

Attachments

• Verum Harman Correction.zip
    273 KB · Views: 74

Graph Feppar

Planars usually have rough frequency response especially in higher frequencies. Even when they are mostly flat, that curve is still rough with tens of small resonances. In time domain most planars suck big time with high frequency resonances that ring for ethernity. They are also heavy.

There was once one very special planar headphone, one that was unlike any other planars before and after. It was relatively light, just 380 grams, it had very flat frequency response apart from rolled off top end past 9 KHz. It had moderate distortion spike around 320 Hz, it was lower than Etymotic ER3/4 so it wasnt big problem.

What is most surprising was that unlike other planars ( and stats), these headphones had cleanest time domain of any full size headphone ever made. They had such amazingly fast decay and smooth frequency response like nothing else, better than HD600 or even anax modded HD800.

They were so similiar to HD600, they were like planar cousin of HD600. These headphones were discontinued, they werent liked much mostly becose they had so much high frequency roll off that they lacked too much air and their sub bass was rolled off too like HD600 albeit with superior distortion levels, they were also known for narrow soundstage like HD600.

Ultimately the lack of air, lack of bottomless sub bass extension that people expect from planar, small soundstage and boring flat tunning made then not sell well in world saturated with flavor of the month planars with fun FR and superior extension on both ends.

There was one guy who sold modded versions that were even flatter with faster decay, he fixed the treble and made the sub bass flat and extended. This was best out of the box production/mastering studio headphone ever made, better than legendary standard, the HD600. The headphone was called Oppo PM 1 and they guy who modded it was Zenith Audio.

To show you how truly special it was, here, look at these waterfall plots.

index (1).jpg

Hifiman HE5XX

index (1).png

Verum planar

index.jpg

Zenith PMx2

Last edited:
OP
andivax

andivax

Forum Donor
Zenith PMx2 is hard to find and it costs 2200$
Verum 1 costs 300$ here

Graph Feppar

Zenith PMx2 is hard to find and it costs 2200$
Verum 1 costs 300$ here
Thats true, back in the day when Oppo still made the PM series the PM2 was quite affordable, I think it cost around 400$. Personally I would try to find used PM2 in good condition.

OP
andivax

andivax

Forum Donor
Thats true, back in the day when Oppo still made the PM series the PM2 was quite affordable, I think it cost around 400$. Personally I would try to find used PM2 in good condition.

Thank you!
I've got Verum 1 and looks like my searching is over.

Angel II

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. If you are looking for an HD650 tone (which I own), I highly recommend the Avantone Planar, they are similar in perceiving the musical details, the latter has a thicker sound. They lend themselves a lot to being equalized. I add that the latest Avanton Planars are mechanically perfect (great sound).

LociInTheSky

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. If you are looking for an HD650 tone (which I own), I highly recommend the Avantone Planar, they are similar in perceiving the musical details, the latter has a thicker sound. They lend themselves a lot to being equalized. I add that the latest Avanton Planars are mechanically perfect (great sound).
How does the sub bass extension, bass volume, warmth, and soundstage size compare to the hd650?

HD 650 are my favorites, I love them, but I'm looking for something similar with more bass, thinking maybe planars. My HE4xx are fine, but they sound kind of cold and mechanical compared to the cozy 650.

Angel II

How does the sub bass extension, bass volume, warmth, and soundstage size compare to the hd650?

HD 650 are my favorites, I love them, but I'm looking for something similar with more bass, thinking maybe planars. My HE4xx are fine, but they sound kind of cold and mechanical compared to the cozy 650.
The Avantone Planar bears a lot of resemblance to the HD 650, to give you an idea of how they sound, you will feel like you are listening to a floor-standing speaker with large diameter cones. I specify that the A.P. it is equalized, like all my headphones.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman HE400se

Top Bottom