• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best budget Harman tuned headphones? (JBL Tune 710, AKG K371/361, AKG N700)

DTNT

Hi everyone,

I am about to get my first budget pair of Harman tuned headphones.

I am considering the following:

JBL Tune 710 60 Euros

AKG K371/361 160 euros

AKG N700 NC 100 euros

I am leaning towards JBL Tune 710, not because of the price range, but because of the measurements also, but I've heard a lot of good things about K371. Sean Olive mentioned N700 as pretty good Harman tuned phones.

Have you tried those models, what would be your recommendation? If you would like to recommend some other model, feel free to do it.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone,

Is the end goal to reach the Harman target (possibly including EQ in the chain), or to buy a pair of headphones that is already attempting to reach the target without EQ ?

oleg87

Out of those, I only have the AKG371 and while it's okay given the price, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I'd rather buy a slightly nicer pair of headphones and EQ them.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The original SRH440 and 840 should be on your list, too.
Here are oratory's frequency response graphs and EQ presets:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is also a ranking list of conformity to the Harman target where the SRH440 is currently on first place:

OP
D

DTNT

Is the end goal to reach the Harman target (possibly including EQ in the chain), or to buy a pair of headphones that is already attempting to reach the target without EQ ?
It's to have closest to the Harman curve out of the box. Of course, overall sound quality is really important too.
Here is also a ranking list of conformity to the Harman target where the SRH440 is currently on first place:
Thank you very much. It's currently difficult to find SRH440 in my country. One thing concerns me, they don't extend well as the other models, and they are very bright on all measurements I found. I'm genuinely curious how they have that high of a score.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To me the SRH440 measures and sounds like this:
fr-srh440.png

Mids are decent and warmish neutral, lacking clarity with sharp elevated treble that isn't really high in quality.
It is a budget headphone though and fine for monitoring.
Besides the build quality is not great and the headband padding as well as the pads do not have a long lifespan.

OP
D

DTNT

To me the SRH440 measures and sounds like this:
fr-srh440.png

Mids are decent and warmish neutral, lacking clarity with sharp elevated treble that isn't really high in quality.
It is a budget headphone though and fine for monitoring.
Besides the build quality is not great and the headband padding as well as the pads do not have a long lifespan.
Thank you. That doesn't sound very appealing. How would you rate JBL Tune 710bt vs SRH 440 and vs AKG K371?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
JBL Tune 710BT vs AKG K371:
red-tune-710-green-k371.png

710 is wireless as well as wired. Pads are a bit on the small side and being pleather get sticky and hot.
The sound is bassy/warmish and with elevated treble up top.
Mids sound quite good and are slightly on the laid-back side. The treble has some sharpness but does have a soft ‘texture’. There is no sharpness to the sound. This headphone has (tastefully) elevated but somewhat muddy bass. On the go a little extra lows is welcome. This also works well with most pop recordings. Those looking for realistic hifi sound which sounds good when playing high quality recordings on higher quality headphones may well be disappointed as the bass is too much and not high quality. Those looking for well extended and tight bass must look elsewhere. Youngsters enjoying bass will like it. Not suited for real bassheads.
A bassy and smooth sound without harshness where all instruments sound natural.

K371:
It has a neutral tonal balance. This means all instruments sound ‘natural’ or at least are at the right level. This does not mean all people will perceive it this way.
Those that want to use this headphone as a monitor or even to check their mix on a headphone can use this headphone and get good results.
Is this the perfect headphone ? No it also lacks here and there a bit and while tonally correct it isn’t a real high flyer when it comes to finer details and smoothness in the treble.
Bass is on the correct level (so NOT for bassheads !) and sounds quite good providing you have a good seal. Mids sound ‘open’ and ‘forward’. There is no cuppy sound and the bass and mids are integrated nicely. Those preferring ‘laid-back’ sound should look elsewhere.
The upper treble and highs is not the K371’s strong point. It certainly isn’t performing poorly though. There is good clarity and treble is not over the top and there is enough ‘air’ and ‘detail’. The K371 doesn’t do things wrong here, it just doesn’t excel.
Those looking for a ‘soft’ and ‘smooth’ audiophile type of treble may be disappointed. Treble is slightly on the coarser side but certainly not ‘grainy’. No sibilance nor shouty sound and treble is at the correct level. Just not super refined.
Those looking for a closed headphone with a neutral sound should definitely audition the K371.
Mechanically not the best headphone. Cable is microphonic.

SRH440:
The sound is ‘warmish neutral’ with sharp treble up top. This is good for monitoring because you can pick out details more easily. For music enjoyment the treble is a tad too sharp at times. Bass doesn’t go deep but sounds full and accurate.
Mids have a warmish neutral character. The sound is dynamic. Treble is not ‘refined’. Bass quality is better than the SRH840 which is a bit bassier but also muddier/less well defined.

posvibes

Thanks to ASR I have rescued so many headphones via the Harman Curve, I am always contemplating thinning out my rather poor man's selection of headphones, last night for instance I was listening to Audio Technica MX40 with oratory HC settings and they sounded pretty good, especially if you like big deep bass.

So for me everything comes down to preferences and each of the headphones I have present differently with the Harman Curve, and even the overall sound seems different according to those little changes in the presentation which if I read @solderdude correctly could be down to ear pad size and wear etc.

I have an old pair of Brainwavz HM5's that I will dig out this week and have a listen to if there is a HC EQ available. So I don't seem to have a solid preference of one over the other but on the upside it's like continually rediscovering audio sensations some of which are nuanced and others radically different.

I may be wrong but the Harman Curve IMHO is far from a homogeneous soundscape.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I am considering the following:

JBL Tune 710 60 Euros

AKG K371/361 160 euros

AKG N700 NC 100 euros

I am leaning towards JBL Tune 710, not because of the price range, but because of the measurements also, but I've heard a lot of good things about K371. Sean Olive mentioned N700 as pretty good Harman tuned phones.

Have you tried those models, what would be your recommendation? If you would like to recommend some other model, feel free to do it.

Have not heard Tune 710, own K371BT and N700NC M2. IMO as long as the unique fit works for you (the ear’s upper rim slides into a gap between the pad and earcup - sounds strange but I find them very comfortable) N700NC M2 is my preference. Not only does it sound better, but also it has much higher apparent build quality, and a case rather than just a sack. If N700 is currently cheaper than K371 there’s IMO no reason to consider K371.

nat1

Have not heard Tune 710, own K371BT and N700NC M2. IMO as long as the unique fit works for you (the ear’s upper rim slides into a gap between the pad and earcup - sounds strange but I find them very comfortable) N700NC M2 is my preference. Not only does it sound better, but also it has much higher apparent build quality, and a case rather than just a sack. If N700 is currently cheaper than K371 there’s IMO no reason to consider K371.
Is there any difference in frequency response when using the N700NC M2 wired?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there any difference in frequency response when using the N700NC M2 wired?

Depends if you use it passive (wired and turned off) or active (wired and turned on).

In active mode it will engage its feedback mechanism which will also help in reducing variation across listeners at frequencies below 500-1K Hz or so, a rather significant issue for all of the passive headphones mentioned in this thread.

It's to have closest to the Harman curve out of the box. Of course, overall sound quality is really important too.

Unfortunately quite a few of the headphones that are designed to hit that target, without EQ, on an ear simulator, also suffer from coupling issues, inducing variations across listeners, and possibly sample variation as well. There's a rather high chance that once on your head they won't deliver it.

Your best bet to experience what the Harman target is meant to sound like is to favour large, fully open dynamic headphones with low sample variation and EQ them to the target.

Mauro

710 is wireless as well as wired. Pads are a bit on the small side and being pleather get sticky and hot.
Mids sound quite good and are slightly on the laid-back side. The treble has some sharpness but does have a soft ‘texture’. There is no sharpness to the sound. This headphone has (tastefully) elevated but somewhat muddy bass. On the go a little extra lows is welcome. This also works well with most pop recordings. Those looking for realistic hifi sound which sounds good when playing high quality recordings on higher quality headphones may well be disappointed as the bass is too much and not high quality. Those looking for well extended and tight bass must look elsewhere. Youngsters enjoying bass will like it. Not suited for real bassheads.

K371:
It has a neutral tonal balance. This means all instruments sound ‘natural’ or at least are at the right level. This does not mean all people will perceive it this way.
Those that want to use this headphone as a monitor or even to check their mix on a headphone can use this headphone and get good results.
Is this the perfect headphone ? No it also lacks here and there a bit and while tonally correct it isn’t a real high flyer when it comes to finer details and smoothness in the treble.
Bass is on the correct level (so NOT for bassheads !) and sounds quite good providing you have a good seal. Mids sound ‘open’ and ‘forward’. There is no cuppy sound and the bass and mids are integrated nicely. Those preferring ‘laid-back’ sound should look elsewhere.
The upper treble and highs is not the K371’s strong point. It certainly isn’t performing poorly though. There is good clarity and treble is not over the top and there is enough ‘air’ and ‘detail’. The K371 doesn’t do things wrong here, it just doesn’t excel.
Those looking for a ‘soft’ and ‘smooth’ audiophile type of treble may be disappointed. Treble is slightly on the coarser side but certainly not ‘grainy’. No sibilance nor shouty sound and treble is at the correct level. Just not super refined.
Those looking for a closed headphone with a neutral sound should definitely audition the K371.
Mechanically not the best headphone. Cable is microphonic.

SRH440:
The sound is ‘warmish neutral’ with sharp treble up top. This is good for monitoring because you can pick out details more easily. For music enjoyment the treble is a tad too sharp at times. Bass doesn’t go deep but sounds full and accurate.
Mids have a warmish neutral character. The sound is dynamic. Treble is not ‘refined’. Bass quality is better than the SRH840 which is a bit bassier but also muddier/less well defined.
Hi solderdude. What would be a headphone with excellent treble? (With extended bass -6DB at 40Hz or so)

Thread related: AKG K371 is very good. Extended bass. Very good treble. Just a bit honky midrange and not impactful sub bass. Mid-sized soundstage but very “in the head” (closed back are limited, but Blue Ella and Airpod Max are better). Comfort is wonderful but protein leather on the headband and earcups peeled off quite fast on mine.
Bluetooth receivers with good range like Airfrex are available. A little clumsy receiver but when HP hinges are closed fits perfectly in a very compact format. much smaller footprint than AKG N700NC2’s

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hi Frans when using EQ will the 710 sound much or fractional better.? Did you use any EQ to make it sound better. If so what is your opinion.

usersky

Forum Donor
I recommend paying close attention to comfort and build quality when it comes to this particular list of headphones. While you can EQ them (and others), you cannot do a thing about bad quality and comfort. I speak from experience having all the headphones you listed. I prefer other with a bit of eq (or not at all) compared to say JBL 710 that is really and I mean really low quality build/materials/comfort or k371 with ultra-dubious head band system that don't work at all for a lot of people. You may regret having a good Harman compliance but severe ear ache after few minutes of usage. I think that HP comfort is quite often underestimated. After all you'll probably spend hours on end with these close / pressing your ears, they better be comfortable.
Edit: in case of JBL 710, they sound good my my ears hurt after less than 5 minute of wearing them. K371 may have a good measured curve if they don't seal/fit well, all the bass is ruined. N700 are rather small, almost on ear so they may hurt ears. Mine also squick a bit when moving. Sound is good but overall satisfaction is low for all 3 in my case.

markanini

Major Contributor
I recommend paying close attention to comfort and build quality when it comes to this particular list of headphones. While you can EQ them (and others), you cannot do a thing about bad quality and comfort. I speak from experience having all the headphones you listed. I prefer other with a bit of eq (or not at all) compared to say JBL 710 that is really and I mean really low quality build/materials/comfort or k371 with ultra-dubious head band system that don't work at all for a lot of people. You may regret having a good Harman compliance but severe ear ache after few minutes of usage. I think that HP comfort is quite often underestimated. After all you'll probably spend hours on end with these close / pressing your ears, they better be comfortable.
Edit: in case of JBL 710, they sound good my my ears hurt after less than 5 minute of wearing them. K371 may have a good measured curve if they don't seal/fit well, all the bass is ruined. N700 are rather small, almost on ear so they may hurt ears. Mine also squick a bit when moving. Sound is good but overall satisfaction is low for all 3 in my case.
That's why I can't imagine making a purchase without a good return policy.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This also ties into the points MayaTlab was making here (the last 2 paragraphs in following post), I bolded the bit in his post that I think is most important, and it's true that such headphones will give the most reliable experience from person to person and also from listening session to listening session during multiple reseats of the headphone (proven by measuring the frequency response on real subjects with in-ear mics):
Depends if you use it passive (wired and turned off) or active (wired and turned on).

In active mode it will engage its feedback mechanism which will also help in reducing variation across listeners at frequencies below 500-1K Hz or so, a rather significant issue for all of the passive headphones mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately quite a few of the headphones that are designed to hit that target, without EQ, on an ear simulator, also suffer from coupling issues, inducing variations across listeners, and possibly sample variation as well. There's a rather high chance that once on your head they won't deliver it.

Your best bet to experience what the Harman target is meant to sound like is to favour large, fully open dynamic headphones with low sample variation and EQ them to the target.
I think that really is the best nugget of advice that last sentence to any headphone users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom