• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Budget DAC for Subwoofer Downstream of miniDSP SHD Studio?

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I'm getting ready to add a subwoofer to my system (moving to a new place with a larger space) and I've become interested in the miniDSP SHD Studio, primarily for running Dirac. The SHD Studio handles up to 24/96 with output via SPDIF RCA or AES-EBU XLR to 2 separate DACs...one for main speakers and the other for the subwoofer. The subwoofer signal is low passed, with no significant high frequency content.

Here is a summary of the basic requirements of the subwoofer DAC:
(1) Input Connection: SPDIF RCA or AES-EBU XLR
(2) Output Connection: RCA stereo pair (sadly, subwoofers rarely take XLR)
(3) Input Signal: At least 24/96
(4) Power Supply: Internal is essential (I don't want any external transformer boxes/clutter)
(5) Volume Control: Not necessary
(6) Headphone Jack: Not necessary
(7) Reliability: Robust, good build quality, no junk
(8) Remote Control: Not necessary
(9) Budget: $400 or less

Any ideas? Suggestions?

OP
Tokyo_John

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Do you already have a SHD Studio? Why not just go with the regular SHD? Price difference between SHD and SHD Studio is under $400 and the SHD is a one box solution.

Yes, this seems like the best solution, I could also sell my Topping D90 to offset a part of the purchase price.

Top Bottom