• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MilkManPhil

Hello everyone. I am new here. I want to eliminate static noise when using IEMs with my PC, so I just wanted to ask if there are any budget dongle DAC amps that have equal or better performance than the Apple USB-C dongle. You see, my old motherboard, which has the Realtek ALC887, does not have any USB-C ports, and I would like it if I had a simpler solution than having to buy the Apple dongle and a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

So I am asking if there are any USB-A dongles with 3.5mm TRRS (I will have a inline mic cable) input that can rival the Apple dongle, in the usual stuff, like flat, transparent output response, distortion, self noise, and sufficient power. I'm not looking for any extra features due to budget concerns.

If there aren't any, I would like to ask you guys my second priority, if there are any USB-C TRRS dongles that can rival the Apple dongle taking into the fact that I own an android phone and I have heard of slight compatibility issues with power. I will be using my IEMs on PC and laptop for 99.9% of the time because I listen to music and game on it. It would just be a bonus if a rival works well with my phone, not a priority. If not, I'll just get the Apple dongle.

My budget is 30 USD, but if it's a decent USB-A dongle, I might push it up to 50 USD. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Sound blaster X1 and it works really well, especially for gaming. They go on sale for $49 on Amazon quite often from a reseller there. The Final E500 IEM makes a great combo for gaming with the 7.1 mode, but I leave the SBX effects off.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get the apple USB C and an adapter. I don't think I've seen any dongles that ship with a USB A terminated cable (many come with an adapter).

Never had any issues with the apple dongle on android.

OP
M

MilkManPhil

Just get the apple USB C and an adapter. I don't think I've seen any dongles that ship with a USB A terminated cable (many come with an adapter).

Ok, thanks!

OP
M

MilkManPhil

Really, because I see reviews where the mic input is apparently too quiet to others when paired with android

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really, because I see reviews where the mic input is apparently too quiet to others when paired with android
I only ever used it for audio out, but for $9 its got to be worth a punt , surely?

KING DRANZER

Hello everyone. I am new here. I want to eliminate static noise when using IEMs with my PC, so I just wanted to ask if there are any budget dongle DAC amps that have equal or better performance than the Apple USB-C dongle. You see, my old motherboard, which has the Realtek ALC887, does not have any USB-C ports, and I would like it if I had a simpler solution than having to buy the Apple dongle and a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

So I am asking if there are any USB-A dongles with 3.5mm TRRS (I will have a inline mic cable) input that can rival the Apple dongle, in the usual stuff, like flat, transparent output response, distortion, self noise, and sufficient power. I'm not looking for any extra features due to budget concerns.

If there aren't any, I would like to ask you guys my second priority, if there are any USB-C TRRS dongles that can rival the Apple dongle taking into the fact that I own an android phone and I have heard of slight compatibility issues with power. I will be using my IEMs on PC and laptop for 99.9% of the time because I listen to music and game on it. It would just be a bonus if a rival works well with my phone, not a priority. If not, I'll just get the Apple dongle.

My budget is 30 USD, but if it's a decent USB-A dongle, I might push it up to 50 USD. Thanks!
Got old laptop as well. And plan to purchase Apple dongle and USB-A to C adapter. It will work fine.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I used a startech USB-A hub with USB-C port to give a USB-C port to my old laptop.

Unfortunately, the hub itself is more than your budget.

Roen

FYI: Most people might not care but legacy adapters are completely out of spec with USB-C specifications. In fact, the specs expressly prohibit adapters with a legacy male end and a USB-C female receptacle.

That being said, these C-to-A adapters probably won’t set fire to your devices, but they can if given enough power.

OP
M

MilkManPhil

FYI: Most people might not care but legacy adapters are completely out of spec with USB-C specifications. In fact, the specs expressly prohibit adapters with a legacy male end and a USB-C female receptacle.

That being said, these C-to-A adapters probably won’t set fire to your devices, but they can if given enough power.
What do you mean by "legacy adapters"?

Roen

USB-C female to USB-A / USB-B / variations male

Top Bottom