• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best "budget" 2021 dac/amp combo (or 2 in 1 amp/dac ?) to drive a DT 990 pro 250 ohm?

Shandias

Hey guys (and girls), i'm really a beginner in the audio and just want to fairly drive my DT990 pro 250 ohm. I recently built a computer and the headphones are currently running on the mobo chipset, which is a crime for a 250 ohm headphones, I know. :facepalm:

Thing is, I wanted to buy an audio setup since I built my computer, but for a complete neophyte the audio world is really vast and complex... Still, I made a few researches and I've often heard that the combo JDS Labs Atom/Topping D10(S now) or the 2 in 1 Fiio K5 were both good choices.

What do you guys recommend ? I have a 200$ max budget and I'm not afraid to check second-hand equipment.

PS: I have a very basic utilisation of a computer : video games, movies, YouTube videos, spotify music...

Thank you for your attention, I wish you all a very pleasant week. :)

Last edited:

liu

If you live in the US, just get the jds labs atom dac and amp. It’s 200 USD in total. You get good quality device, and superb quality service. Buy local, support local.

don’t look for Chinese HiFi products. They are expensive (topping lowest combo e30+l30 costs 300 USD now), does not work as intended most of the time, and when things broke it’s a lot harder to get good support.

OP
S

Shandias

Unfortunately I'm not from the US but from France, happy that my english grammar didn't betray me !

liu

Unfortunately I'm not from the US but from France, happy that my english grammar didn't betray me !
Your english is so good! Better than mine! (an immigrant living in the US)

Among Europe based companies, RME definitely produces the best audio devices in the world.
Its ADI-2 DAC/Pro is a true engineering achievement.
There's no upgrade path, because there's just no product can compete with it.
Buy one and happy forever.
Unfortunately that's way beyond your budget though.

For $200 Maybe you need to find a dealer that sells the Schiit or JDS Labs combo.

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you live in the US, just get the jds labs atom dac and amp. It’s 200 USD in total. You get good quality device, and superb quality service. Buy local, support local.

don’t look for Chinese HiFi products. They are expensive (topping lowest combo e30+l30 costs 300 USD now), does not work as intended most of the time, and when things broke it’s a lot harder to get good support.
I've got the Topping E/L 30 combo, it works flawlessly. When the issue came up regarding equipment failures due to static discharges my L 30 was quickly replaced [I didn't experience any issue, but it was recommended I replace mine anyway]. So I disagree with Liu. On the other hand, I'd recommend getting a headphone amp first and see/listen to how that amp works with the DAC already in your computer. You might not need another DAC. I've also got a Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp, its sound is ever so slightly less nice with my Drop 6XX compared to the Topping L30, but I'd guess the Schiit Heresy works about as well as the Topping L30 based on Amir's measurements.

Just checked out Amir's review of your headphone. I'm not sure how important having an open backed headphone is to you, but it looks like the DT 990 is a lemon.

(1) Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Review (headphone) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you want more volume, bass and don't care if the headphones are open backed, try the AKG K371 headphones. My $220 Drop 6XX headphones need to be hooked up to an amp with juice and have the eq raise the bottom octaves, but the AKG 'phones work with everything I've plugged them into without eq. Getting different headphones will have a bigger impact on sound quality than upgrading the DAC and amp. Also, the AKG 'phones are going for $120 these days.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
L30 +D10s 215€ from audiophonics or try the Beyer Custom Studio 80ohm which are easier to drive for less.

Top Bottom