• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best battery powered DAC/AMP

UWinWithWin

I currently have the topping NX4 sDSD and the spectra X that I use from my iPad when I’m on the go.

Besides the chord mojo, what are other popular well performing battery powered DAC/AMP that you guys have had good luck with.

At home I use the El Amp and El DAC, but it’s complicated because o have to use a powered USB hub. And I want something that I can carry around with me.

I’m mostly curious what else is out there.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want it to be battery powered? USB powered can be good also, can't it?

OP
U

UWinWithWin

Why do you want it to be battery powered? USB powered can be good also, can't it?
The iPad and iPhone can’t do very much power output. 5mA is the limit. The El DAC requires a powered usb strip. So having battery powered eliminates apples funky rules as a general rule. But the spectra-X does fine. Other usb/lightning powered stuff would be fine.

jhwalker

I really like my iFi xDSD. Sounds great (subjectively, haven't seen any real measurements), has plenty of power even for full-sized headphones, supports just about any audio format you can think of, and has (what I think of as) an innovative balanced headphone port that supports non-balanced connections, as well. Very nice.

Top Bottom