• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM under $100.

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero

Votes: 77 25.2%
  • BLON BL-03

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • DUNU Titan S

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • HZsound Heart Mirror

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Moondrop CHU

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Tanchjim Tanya

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Tripowin x HBB Olina

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero (Original = Blue)

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED

Votes: 147 48.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 20.3%

• Total voters

johnp98

After reading the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED review and thinking to myself that I should get at least one pair of IEM (even though I mostly listen with speakers and subs for the soundstage and tactile experience).

I almost fell into the 'buy now and think later' mentality with the Zero Reds but a brief search online made me realize that there are lots of reasonable/good/great IEM for under $100.

So I am wondering what are peoples suggestions for the best 'bang for your buck' sub $100 IEM.
I could use EQ on any of these for sure, but I think having it tuned nicely right out of the box would be ideal for using it with phones and other devices that don't have EQ readily available.

Certainly could have missed some recommendations so feel free to comment with what I might have missed.
Also numerous votes are allowed if you think there are two or three that are interchangable at top spot.

Thanks for any advice!

@crinacle I do not know if you are allowed to chime in (I assume you have been asked this question at nauseum though, sorry!)

BALKAN_RAKIA

in terms of 50/55$ for audio the Zeros are excellent value. That said if you listen at home, proper headphones sound better, at least to me. I can wear them for longer and the sound doesn't change depending on how deep I ear fuck myself with the IEMs.

asrUser

Missing TE HExa and Hola and Moondrop Aria and Simgot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony MH755
Got a reliable source for those that doesn't involve buying a bluetooth dongle or buying one of the infinite knock-offs on ebay/ amazon/ ali etc ?

Also - ones with a proper cable not the short one with the horrid uneven L/R ends?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got a reliable source for those that doesn't involve buying a bluetooth dongle or buying one of the infinite knock-offs on ebay/ amazon/ ali etc ?

This one was purchased with a BT dongle (presumably genuine ?), and yet performed out of the box like this :
MH755 RL bal.jpg

The MH750 I purchased separately is better balanced and closer to Oratory or Crin's measurements (still some way off, but sample variation isn't quite as tight as some other IEMs, so...), but I have no idea whether it's a genuine one or not.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Truthear Zero (or the Red) is a solid bet from a sound perspective BUT its very hard to wear/ find the right tips for a lot of people. The best description I saw was by another user on here who described it as "hangs by the tip" which is not a great proposition for an on the go/ mobile set. Nothing worse than having to fiddle with something in your ear constantly.

Of course, others dont seem to have this problem so YMMV if you pick these .

posvibes

I haven't had a lot of experience with IEM's, but have had a handful with no great success, mainly due to ill fitting tips.

Of the list I can only speak to the Truthear Blues and the Salnotes both of which are phenomenal out of the box, but in the thread on the Salnotes, there is a PEQ offered by one of the posters (sorry forgot who) that make the Salnotes a high end product.

For me the biggest breakthrough that added to my thorough enjoyment of both and made the zero's performance even more enjoyable was the discovery of triple flange silicon ear tips.

Zero - triple flange silicon tips - Paul Simon's acoustic guitar on 7 psalms = Heaven.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't had a lot of experience with IEM's, but have had a handful with no great success, mainly due to ill fitting tips.

Of the list I can only speak to the Truthear Blues and the Salnotes both of which are phenomenal out of the box, but in the thread on the Salnotes, there is a PEQ offered by one of the posters (sorry forgot who) that make the Salnotes a high end product.

For me the biggest breakthrough that added to my thorough enjoyment of both and made the zero's performance even more enjoyable was the discovery of triple flange silicon ear tips.

Zero - triple flange silicon tips - Paul Simon's acoustic guitar on 7 psalms = Heaven.
Which Zer0, and more to the point which triple flange tips did you find to go on those mahoosive lugs of the TE Zero?

jcarys

I voted original Truthear Zero in blue. I haven't heard/used the Red, but from Amir's review it looks like it's just as good. I don't think I've ever heard noticeable distortion with the blue, so I'm not sure I would get much improvement with the update, but I'll probably try it at some point. It's so cheap, why not?

I've never hard any issue with fit with the original tips or replacements. I use them running and at the gym, so if they were going to fall out, they would have by now. Enjoy whatever you decide to get.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

posvibes

Which Zer0, and more to the point which triple flange tips did you find to go on those mahoosive lugs of the TE Zero?
The Blue Truthear Crinacle Zero's and the Salnotes, and you are right those lugs, damn? I have a feeling the triple flanges came with either a Klipsch IEM or a very old Etymotic model I had I can't remember. I have two sets, one is a little longer than the other, but both do the job.

They are a tight fit, and they take a little patience getting them on, but once on they stay on. The salnotes are an even tighter fit than the Crinacle blues.

I have ordered something that looks similar from Amazon and they should arrive today with any luck and if they fit I will report back.

Sharur

Sony MH755
The only problem with this recommendation is that the MH755 was discontinued in 2013. Not only is it difficult to know if one you are buying is real, but they are often for sale at notably higher prices than MSRP.

Sharur

I'd say the best bang-for-buck earphones I have heard are the apple earpods that came with the iPhone 5-6s. Considering they are essentially free, with a good seal, they have a surprising amount of bass (albeit too much mud), accurate sounding midrange, and audibly smooth treble to my ears (somewhat veiled in upper treble).

posvibes

@Jimbob54 these arrived a few minutes ago and they fit, and as I suspected tight but doable. You probably already know but you sort of turn them inside out, I add just a touch of spit on the tube hole end of the flange hole and then starting at the edge twist and downward push over the lug. The Salnotes has a ridge but these go over it.

Veri

Master Contributor
For me the Blon BL-03 remains some of the best value / bang for your buck in IEM audio.
>$50 range might have a lot of new contenders though, but for <$50 it is King .

markanini

Major Contributor
Truthear Hola deserves a mention, great tuning that's maybe not ultra articulate in the vocals, but gets the treble right where many have issues. Also the Hola cable is probably the one I'll use on any future IEMs. FWIW I preferred Hola over Waner, Kiwi Cadenza and Moondrop Quarks DSP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom