• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best bang for the buck subwoofer according to ASR

greenpsycho

Are you using them with Velodyne's SC-1250 amp on the correct preset? They were designed to be used as a system. The amp has the high voltage and EQ the stock woofers require. Without a very high voltage amplifier and EQ to extend the response, they sound terrible!
I was...and then the SC-1250 started popping and buzzing. I sent it off for repair earlier this year, came back still broken. Sent if off again, but had to be refunded as they couldn't fix it. So we're both in the same situation. I always suspected something was up as they sounded not good when I had to switch them over to my crown amp, but I couldn't figure it out. Considering the sc-10 subs don't really behave with my crown xli 2500, I really should spend the time to swap out drivers to the daytons, unless your aware of another option for the amp? I've spent hours searching for a replacement, but couldn't find one in the past and kinda gave up.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion REL T5i at $599 (£449 in UK) is a great value for small rooms. I own a pair and with EQ was able to get smooth FR in 20-100 Hz range. If I remember correctly the same sub was selling at around $1000 couple years ago.

I'm curious about that as REL rates that sub as -6dB at 32 Hz. Was that a combination of room gain and boosting the low end with EQ?

It really would be great if REL would send that sub or one of their other subs to Audioholics for full testing.

audiophile

I'm curious about that as REL rates that sub as -6dB at 32 Hz. Was that a combination of room gain and boosting the low end with EQ?
I was surprised too when I saw it. I guess it was due to room gain. No EQ was needed at those frequencies, I only used EQ to cut peaks.

th0m

Anyone know of an affordable sub with balanced stereo input/output? I know of the now discontinued SVS SB12-Plus, but I'm having trouble finding anyone apart from that.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Rythmik makes a number of models available with XLR inputs but I do not know what you define as "affordable".

www.rythmikaudio.com

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks, I know of Rythmik but sadly they have no dealers in the EU, so not really an option. Should have mentioned that, sorry.

Oops, sorry. Why do you want balanced inputs? If you have a ground loop problem, long runs, and/or a noisy environment then there are other solutions that might work such as a transformer or DI box to convert at the subwoofer. Aside from that sonically I cannot imagine a difference especially for a subwoofer.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering the sc-10 subs don't really behave with my crown xli 2500, I really should spend the time to swap out drivers to the daytons, unless your aware of another option for the amp?

Depending on how you run them, that amp should push enough voltage to be useful: 500W into 8Ω per woofer is close enough to SC-1250. The most cost effective solution for you is to add a miniDSP 2x4 to upgrade the EQ. Even if you swap the woofers, I recommend an equalizer and that one seems to be the current value for money champion.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Bang for the buck in subwoofers is used, lots of folks downsizing from big places to little. I'm a total cheapskate, managed to get 4 powered subwoofers from Amvets for a total of $200. I've got one left, a little Sonance powered sub, mates well with my a/d/s 400 speakers, appropriate for my 9' x 10' x 8' bedroom. Set me back $50. Have to consider how much air is being moved in a given room, not to mention issues like neighbors in apartments, duplexes and condos. Had three powered subs in my garage studio, placed to accommodate the room's resonance modes—one corner placed sub would cancel out in the "sweet spot".

th0m

Oops, sorry. Why do you want balanced inputs? If you have a ground loop problem, long runs, and/or a noisy environment then there are other solutions that might work such as a transformer or DI box to convert at the subwoofer. Aside from that sonically I cannot imagine a difference especially for a subwoofer.
It's not so much the inputs. I'm after a sub with balanced stereo input and output because I want to easily integrate the sub in a stereo setup with a balanced power amp which only accept XLR. So DAC/pre to sub to power amp.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not so much the inputs. I'm after a sub with balanced stereo input and output because I want to easily integrate the sub in a stereo setup with a balanced power amp which only accept XLR. So DAC/pre to sub to power amp.

You should look at subwoofers marketed for studio installations. Even entry level priced ones will typically have XLR inputs and outputs.

lsr310s_back_z_original.jpg

FrankF

Forum Donor
At the upper end used original versions of JL Audio Fathoms are a great bang for the buck. Quality is above other manufacturers. I've had 1 for 10 years without a problem and recently purchased a matching second. If you do have a problem ship the Sub to JL in Florida on your dime and they will give it a complete refurbishment and ship it back for $300. The E series is also a option without any DSP, however, they only go up to a 12" driver which can't match the 13.5" on the Fathom f-113.

greenpsycho

I get it - monoprice monolith series are a great option for you. I'm honestly still kinda leaning toward them because they are tanks, have xlr in and out (which is a huge plus to me as well), and somehow even the 10" goes super super low

Olli

Forum Donor
Thanks, I know of Rythmik but sadly they have no dealers in the EU, so not really an option. Should have mentioned that, sorry.

They do ship to EU. Just write to them. I got F18s and F8s shipped to Germany, superb customer service.

Willem

Major Contributor
But do not forget to add some 20% VAT and I think 10% import duty. They are interesting subs, however.

greenpsycho

Depending on how you run them, that amp should push enough voltage to be useful: 500W into 8Ω per woofer is close enough to SC-1250. The most cost effective solution for you is to add a miniDSP 2x4 to upgrade the EQ. Even if you swap the woofers, I recommend an equalizer and that one seems to be the current value for money champion.
Eh, its really not good, let alone great. I'm not sure if its the EQ (though I am running dirac on them via my xmc-1), but when the sc-1250 worked, it was far better, got louder and deeper compared to my xli 2500. Oh well, when I upgrade my living room HT setup, I'll swap them over to my office setup and then see what I can do.

th0m

You should look at subwoofers marketed for studio installations. Even entry level priced ones will typically have XLR inputs and outputs.
Good advice, thanks. Didn't think about that. Any recommendations in the ~$500 range that would work in a living room stereo setup? Studio gear are rarely pretty to look at, but you can't have everything...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh, its really not good, let alone great. I'm not sure if its the EQ (though I am running dirac on them via my xmc-1).

It is definitely the EQ. See earlier posts. Dirac cannot provide enough boost. It is designed for use with complete systems that already have the expected bandwidth.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Dirac Live provides 10 dB of boost, essentially "infinite" cut, per DL.

Top Bottom