• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Best Bang for the buck for AVR with Pre output

Juhazi

I'm in trouble with this kind of setup. I need a mid-price AVR with good quality analog pre-outs or at least for mains. I use minidsp 4x10HD as xo for my diy 4-way active speakers (FL and FR) and I must to be able to use just the AVR's remote and volume control for the easiness to my family. I listen to stereo a lot, but TV and some movies as 5.0

When I set up this I had a Yamaha RX-Vxxx from 2001 or so and it worked like miracles until it got too oxidated with various problems. I bought a used RX-V671, but it has only fixed level audio out. Then a used Denon AVR-2313, but it's pre-outs buzz like hell. I'm pretty sure that this is a feature, not a fault. I set up a similar system for my daughter using used Cambridge Audio AVR and it is OK.

The unit can't be any bigger than the Denon. Present models with pre-outs are too expensive and large. Buying used units by mail order without possibility to check them gets expensive too... 5.1 is enough, no EQ needed, FM radio obligatory!

p.s. Looks like one seller in Finland has Yamaha RX-V781 for 499€ - Hmm...

Last edited:

Juhazi

Update: The RX-V781 was sold out. I ordered a RX-V685 for 639€ (taxes and delivery included), it has 2.2ch pre-outs and MM-phono in , wifi, MusicCast etc. that I have usage for.