• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best bang for buck system for driving HD650s

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this imply i had to sell the A20H and go on a search for a DAC/AMP with remote control (important for me) that does have better SE output voltage. My wallet tells me buying a balanced cable is the better and easier option.

You do have a point. :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
More power means absolutely nothing when you don't need it. What matters is only the performance at the level you use it for. Hd650 is very easy to drive. Most amps have higher performance at higher impedance load. And 1V rms is more than enough for hd650. So basically anything that's not terrible will do the job, easily.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1V rms is more than enough for hd650.
Well that depends how loud you want it to play and how high the dynamics are.
I would rather say 1V (output of a phone) is enough for long term listening levels.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best bang for buck if you have a smart phone or tablet with analogue out is to use it to feed a JDS Atom if you need more volume than the device output.

Get a hearing test

Get atom khadas toneboard and a pair or two of another headphones. Like hd600 or such... maybe planars if u like bass.

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Sabaj D5
Anybody know why there are two listings on AliExpress ?

$20 difference between the two

Attachments

• 459215EC-B330-4CFB-B161-8990D4C5601C.png
    459215EC-B330-4CFB-B161-8990D4C5601C.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 140

Veri

Master Contributor
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Sabaj D5
Anybody know why there are two listings on AliExpress ?

$20 difference between the two
Seems to be the exact same seller and product so I wouldn't hesitate to go for the cheaper offering.

artismo

Seems to be the exact same seller and product so I wouldn't hesitate to go for the cheaper offering.
Sometimes, you can negotiate even cheaper. Message and try it. A lot of buyers overlook that, there’s a million reasons under the sun:
->1. Found a cheaper price somewhere<-
2. A loyal purchaser
3. Brand loyalty

Again, I was able to negotiate a Fiio Q5s to about $310 USD.

Worst case- you get a “no”.

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Ok pulled the trigger and got the D5 for $370 shipped. :)
Ships from US so hopefully will get it soon.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
A very good-measuring DAC at a resonable price, especially for being able to deliver both single-ended and balanced outputs, but the 56mW @300Ohms is a bit low power for some cans.

Based on what nvawguy says about HD600 (which is less sensitive than HD650) here http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html I guess the 56mW should be able to provide a clean headphones output with peaks above 115dB (it needs 53mW to reach 115dB SPL, to be more precise, based on http://www.digizoid.com/power.php).

However, in balanced mode you should get around 220mW @300Ohms, which will most likely blow away the HD650. :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Both the HD600 and HD650 are measured at 105.1dB/V acc. to RAA.
Tyll's measurements state the HD600 are 1dB less sensitive.
There is indeed 1dB more 'energy' around 150Hz so the differences are negligible small.

Funnily enough the 150 Ohm HD58X is often reported to sound 'louder' than the HD650/HD600 and people base this on the fact that the impedance is lower. Since the HD58X is 4dB lower in efficiency (96dB/mW) it plays equally loud as the HD600 (both 104dB/V acc. to my measurements)

@trl is correct though and using it balanced would yield more than enough power.
Most likely you'll hardly ever will go past the 56mW the SE mode of the Sabaj will deliver.

So I suggest to try it with the TRS plug first and when you want more look for a cheap balanced aftermarket cable on Aliexpress or something like that.

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I went and placed an order for the THX AAA 789, it will ship in Nov (jeez). Ok, so I blew through my budget...

I am trying to figure out the amp topology in the THX patent.....

solderdude

Grand Contributor
a D5 and THX AAA789 !
Till Nov you can use the HP out of the D5.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A phone or a computer that has Sonarworks TruFi. This will make more difference in the frequency domain than adding any other item to the chain in my experience.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A phone or a computer that has Sonarworks TruFi. This will make more difference in the frequency domain than adding any other item to the chain in my experience.

Do you have any connection to Sonarworks, commercial or otherwise?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any connection to Sonarworks, commercial or otherwise?

I do not, and do not use it myself anymore.

I own the HD6xx (Same driver and tuning as the HD650) and really like the flat bass extension it helped with. The roll off is fine, but on lots of modern music, I find it more enjoyable with TrueFi.

Now I use a JH Audio Lola, which doesn't have a correction with TrueFi, and has a response I like more.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not, and do not use it myself anymore. Work for a mortgage company.

I own the HD6xx (Same driver and tuning as the HD650) and really like the flat bass extension it helped with. The roll off is fine, but on lots of modern music, I find it more enjoyable with TrueFi.

Now I use a JH Audio Lola, which doesn't have a correction with TrueFi, and has a response I like more.

Get a hearing test

Or cleaning ear wax. A few drops of hydrogen peroxide 3-5% opens up highs so much you wouldnt believe.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So many great options with that open of a budget.

—->D10/D30/D50S and Atom <—-
Micro iDSD Black
DX7s (tier 2, but still a strong DAC with a good amp section built in and balanced outputs)
DX3 Pro
Better—> SabajD5 as mentioned above, better for the price than DX7s

If you want a budget upgrade path-
SU-8 version 2 and Atom (you can go balanced later or accommodate monitors)

Stretch your budget $50 and you can-
SU-8 version 2 and THX 789 (the budget-end-game-hero)

I’m sure I’m overlooking another configuration

I'd second those suggestions . There is no shortage of good separates or combos for this price. A geshelli Enog/Archel 2.5 stack, a Topping E/L30 stack (when L30 released) , I have the SU8/ Atom combo.

EDIT- Ive replied to an old thread, havent I? Bugger.

Top Bottom