• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Bang for Buck Floor Standing Speakers

Xmech team

Hey members, what's the best objectively reviewed, relatively affordable (<$1200 a pair), floor standing speakers? That look good of course. I'm not in a position to test speakers physically. I'm gravitating towards Elac debut reference but Amir has only tested their bookshelves

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Revel F35? Elac DFR? JBL Studio 5XX? Used Infinity IL 50s - are the cost of a couple large pizzas... Kinda broad question...

OP
X

Xmech team

Revel F35? Elac DFR? JBL Studio 5XX? Used Infinity IL 50s - are the cost of a couple large pizzas... Kinda broad question...

You mean there are objective measurements for all these speakers? Especially DFR

Colonel7

Hey members, what's the best objectively reviewed, relatively affordable (<$1200 a pair), floor standing speakers? That look good of course. I'm not in a position to test speakers physically. I'm gravitating towards Elac debut reference but Amir has only tested their bookshelves
If you are in US Crutchfield has white Revel F35s in scratch and dent for about $970 a pair. Reviewed here . That's a steal

eddantes

Perhaps not the DFR, that's true; but there's spinorama's for the rest.

nerdoldnerdith

Why do you need towers? If you're on a budget, typically the best option would be to get bookshelfs and a sub later if you want it.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Q Acoustics make some nice (take that word however you like) floorstanders, I think for your budget. The fit and finish is good and they do *look* more expensive than they actually are. The 'sound' of the ones I've heard is very good, safe and likeable, with no nasties to put you off (that's why so many cheaper boxes have a little dip in the lower kHz region engineered in deliberately I'm sure).

Different markets, different models and prices, so hope the above is helpful to some. By the way, neither herself nor I like 'boxes on stalks' and a neat floor-stander (or huge one in my case :D ) paints a far better picture to my/our senses.

mblack5

Forum Donor
I am kind of in the same boat as the original poster. Reviving my teenage quest for hifi. Many options in this age, but few at local stores. This site has been pulling me in for late night reading the past several months and has been a great source of info. Picked up a pair of JBL 580s, (better half approves of black) last month, Saves a bit of floor space but not a major improvement over my old Advents. Colonel7 noted Revel scratch and dent sale is indeed a great deal. White version only - seems to discounted quite a bit. Ended up ordering a ordering a DBR-62 scratch and dent from crutchfield based on on all the positive feedback, but still keeping my eyes and ears open for a floor stander.

Top Bottom