• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Band No One's Heard Of

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Something fun happened over the holidays that inspired this post. (And apologies if this is redundant--I did a search and couldn't find the same topic)

We had an "open house"- style party between Christmas and New Year's. My nephew, 22 years old and wise beyond his years, stopped by with a few of his friends, knowing never to turn down free food and booze. :) But, the price of that free food and booze is that I pick the music....and I had Magnolia by the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies playing. These young guys were blown away and must have listened to "Hello From Venus" five times.

I have been a fan of the Wheelies for years and years, but they never seemed to make it, despite an irresistible (to me) Southern Rock / Jam / Blues hybrid. Whenever I bring them up, I most often get a blank stare. But anyone who knows them, seems to be a big fan.

So, do you have a gift to share like I did with my nephew and his friends? Who is your Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There's so many. I'd lead off with Lee Barber, follow up with The Lovely Sparrows, I'm With Her, Crack The Sky, John Statz, Oz Noy...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There no "best" anything, in my opinion, but I'm listening to Sex Mob from my collection right now.

ae86ea25-66e3-4953-934b-7e87493f2020_1.b1a0894bb9740323d11ae1b1fef0bb96.jpeg

Acoustic Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Voice – Tony Scherr
Alto Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone – Briggan Krauss
Drums, Percussion, Whistle [Bird], Vibraphone – Kenny Wollesen
Guest, Tabla – Mike Dillon
Trumpet [Slide], Mellophone, Voice – Steven Bernstein

1672765576387.png

Disclaimer: my musical tastes may or may not (most likely) coincide with those of others

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

This isn't nearly as obscure as previous entries, but in the category of 'bands that should probably be better known but aren't' I'd put Lee Harvey Osmond. This is a Tom Wilson (Junkhouse, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings) project, and he pulled in friends such as the Cowboy Junkies to help out. Really seemed to fly under the radar, but the first couple albums in particular were great.

AudiOhm

Blood of van Gogh

Ohms

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love the Cheetah Wheelies! Did you know they actually reformed in 2022 and played a small number of dates? It was a major bummer to be out of town when they played NYC. Fingers crossed that it was successful enough to warrant yet more shows.

OP
PatentLawyer

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Love the Cheetah Wheelies! Did you know they actually reformed in 2022 and played a small number of dates? It was a major bummer to be out of town when they played NYC. Fingers crossed that it was successful enough to warrant yet more shows.
I heard about this too late, as I would have made the effort to see them. I saw them once back in college and it was a great show.

JSmith

Master Contributor
A rather unknown band from Aus., in the early 90's;

These guys opened for Nirvana in 1992;

JSmith

Zaireeka

Two bands: Subtle and Clouddead (spelled cLOUDEAD often). They shared a member, the great Doseone.
Kind of in their own genre, and sadly inactive
The first cLOUDDEAD album still haunts me to this day... What a (weird) masterpiece!

Ported

For me it's I am Kloot... Not together any more but a great body of work. A very northern England band | sound.. always keen to rope in any celebrities they spot on their audiences too!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically, any band you like but nobody else knows could fit in this thread.

Zaireeka

4 bands from my city:

Seven Hate

Microfilm

Hacride

Carpenter Brut

Top Bottom