• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Balanced Output Phono Stage

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I'm using it, made my own cable to plug it into miniDSP SHD's XLR inputs. I even did some measurements at some point, balanced connection brought the level noise down noticeably.
Did you happen to try the Zen without going through the DSP

audiopile

Pozz is right- the Elac PPA-2 does have seperate grounds -10 ohm difference between the two terminals. I had been struck so positively by the sound of this Phono pre that it went into my GF's furniture and just stayed there. Finally pulled it out a few days ago to put a Bryston BP-1.5 in it's place and poped PPA-2's cover . Very pretty -the chassis ground lug comes off the back panel and via a very short ,nice n thick piece of wire is very securly bolted to a screw terminal mounted/welded to the bottom cover . You look over to the other end of the back plate and the third (safety ground) pin on the IEC AC input goes via another short n thick wire to a welded on screw terminal mounted onto the bottom cover. The other ground wire goes via another short and thick wire to the circuit board corner . In my set up I don't hear any difference between the grounds- this is a VERY quiet phono pre. Full disclosure: probably like most folks nutz enough to hook up four turntables into their system at one time -I'm used to chasing hum (usually ground loops in all their myriad glory) -since I went to Meridian DSP-5000 active speakers a couple of years ago - I seem to have a lot fewer "It doesn't know the words"moments. Guy who refurbished this house years before we moved in was a great craftsman in many areas -absolute idiot when it came to any form of wiring . No idea why the Meridian's seem immune to most hum/buzz issues ?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I did, hooked it up to an AS-500 and it sounded great.
Where you comparing to the internal phono preamp of the Yamaha or a different stand alone phono preamp?
It certainly is at a good price point for its capabilities.

kokoon

Forum Donor
Where you comparing to the internal phono preamp of the Yamaha or a different stand alone phono preamp?
It certainly is at a good price point for its capabilities.
Yeah, compared it to Yamaha's internal phono. Wasn't very scientific (had to switch the cables each time), but I liked the Zen far better - simply clearer, more silent.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yeah, compared it to Yamaha's internal phono. Wasn't very scientific (had to switch the cables each time), but I liked the Zen far better - simply clearer, more silent.
What table, arm, cartridge and gain setting are you using?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Ah just a stock Rega P1 with a Nagaoka MP-110 :shrug:
Gain is the lowest (the only MM setting actually)
That MP-110 is an over achiever at its price point. I tried one a few years ago and liked it.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I like my Primare R35.
Looks very nice. Good input overload margin.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
iFi Zen phono also has balanced output, I have one and I like it a lot.
OK - that looks interesting. My TT is a distance away from the rest of the audio gear. I really need balanced, and this seems to be at the right price.

EDIT: The connectors are expensive though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom