• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AVR DACs to date?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Is there a ranking for the best AVR DACs my primary interest is multichannel audio music, then movies I almost never listen to stereo on my system!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Best home theater AVR Review.png

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
The NAD M33 is not an AVR, unfortunately!

The NAD Master Series M17 V2i is but I don’t see any ASR reviews!

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Descartes if you're playing your music and movies from a PC and can run your DSP on there, then you could use a Topping DM7 or Octo DAC8 as multichannel DAC. Those beat everything on the list above.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
@Descartes if you're playing your music and movies from a PC and can run your DSP on there, then you could use a Topping DM7 or Octo DAC8 as multichannel DAC. Those beat everything on the list above.
That won’t give me ATMOS or Spacial Audio though! I have an OPPO UDP-205 but I don’t see myself changing the amplifier connections for movies and music.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People make it seem like this is a worthwhile solution, but I've used an HTPC for twenty years and I'd still never do this.

funnychap

Is there a ranking for the best AVR DACs my primary interest is multichannel audio music, then movies I almost never listen to stereo on my system!
I upgraded from a Denon X3700H (terrible for music, ok for movies).
I love my Arcam AVR5 (great for movies and music and Apple Music spatial audio surround music via Dolby Atmos). The newer Arcam models that end in the number 1 (AVR11, AVR21, AVR31, AVR41) are even better because they have 2 ESS Sabre dacs.

delta76

Major Contributor
I upgraded from a Denon X3700H (terrible for music, ok for movies).
I love my Arcam AVR5 (great for movies and music and Apple Music spatial audio surround music via Dolby Atmos). The newer Arcam models that end in the number 1 (AVR11, AVR21, AVR31, AVR41) are even better because they have 2 ESS Sabre dacs.
how do you compare x3700h with AVR5? with your ears?

ArturoKiwi

That won’t give me ATMOS or Spacial Audio though! I have an OPPO UDP-205 but I don’t see myself changing the amplifier connections for movies and music.
A passive switch is a bad idea?
Between an avr and topping dx7+ pro or another one at your choice

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the most recent update
Here's the latest graph from Amir:
best AVR home theater review 2023.png

However, you could include some newer user measurements of the Monolith HTP-1 (link), which would push it near the top at 105dB SINAD:
20231119_222358.png

Edit:
Also, since Amir counts the Flex as an AVR/AVP (debatable), one could place the new Flex HT/Flex HTx all the way at the top (link). No Flex version can decode Atmos, DD, etc though.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you're looking for the very best Atmos->Analog conversion and you don't care at all about all the other features that AVRs usually offer, then you could use an Arvus H2-4D and a bunch of standalone DACs with AES3 input (or two dac8 PROs for example).

It'd be expensive, a hassle to set up, and you'd be missing out on room correction etc, but you'd have SOTA Atmos->Analog.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audioholics has bench tested the AV10 at 108 dB SINAD:

Top Bottom