• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best available streamer for benchmark dac3

Willem

Major Contributor
From what I understand from the description it is not so much a Chromecast as an Airplay implementation.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

Willem

Major Contributor
The good news is that with a bit of looking around there are still CCAs on the market. And I still think they are the most convenient option.

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I asked Benchmark this question and the Node 2i was suggested for its ability to download hi res and stable easy to use interface. The point was made (once again) that the device has no affect on audio quality assuming you are using the digital out. I had been using the Sonos Port which had been limited to 16/44 but with its recent os upgrade (S2) it can apparently download higher quality streams. I use Qobuz and Spotify. Can't say I hear a difference between the Port and Node 2i but haven't had the latter very long and the last thing we need to do here is get into the hi res debate. The Port is a bit cheaper and if you like the Sonos interface, esp with the development of S2, it would be a nice choice. Yes, in either case you are buying a DAC you don't need. Oh, the Node 2i can act as a preamp in a pinch with sub out, trigger etc so it's a more versatile device.
PS- Just heard about the audioengine option, big cost savings :))

NoGoodPoints

This includes a DAC, doesn't it, like the (discontinued) Arcam rPlay? You could use the Toslink output, but then you are paying for a DAC you're not using.

Yes. I personally would pay for the flexibility of having both outputs (digital and analogue). $189 is pretty good if it performs to the level of their BT1.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the auralic aries with a benchmark dac2. It's roon ready.

BillG

Major Contributor
has anyone tried installing chromecast onto a raspberry pi?

The name is a bit misleading. It's not a Chromecast replacement, but rather an alternative, and doesn't use the same programming and protocols, from what I can surmise, nor can it be accessed by the same apps in the same way as a Chromecast. My guess it is streams via DLNA/UPnP. Sure, it'll work fine, but ones smartphone/tablet will be used as both a bridge and a controller. With Chromecast, unless one is actually streaming local content from the smart device, it's merely a controller.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

There are no sonic differences so it all boils down to price and convenience, including app availability. My vote would go to the CCA, but you may also look at the latest Sonos offerings. Or indeed a Pi.

just bouht 2 brandnew can’t play tidal

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
just bouht 2 brandnew can’t play tidal
Describe your system please. You've connected the CCA to yoir WiFi, same as your phone /tablet with the tidal app on?

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Describe your system please. You've connected the CCA to yoir WiFi, same as your phone /tablet with the tidal app on?

yes and the cca connected to cdx optical toslink mini toslink
on the icon when ypu press play the cca dont show

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes and the cca connected to cdx optical toslink mini toslink
on the icon when ypu press play the cca dont show

You need to hit the little speaker icon on the tidal screen to select it. Also, sometimes you need to rebout your router to get the CCA fully recognised. If you open the Google home app, can you see the CCA and can you access its settings?

Bottom left corner
Screenshot_20210307_091734_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

You need to hit the little speaker icon on the tidal screen to select it. Also, sometimes you need to rebout your router to get the CCA fully recognised. If you open the Google home app, can you see the CCA and can you access its settings?

i ll try as soon the qsp is back from repair thx never rebout the router so it could be that

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i ll try as soon the qsp is back from repair thx never rebout the router so it could be that
I updated my post with a screen grab from tidal. Speaker icon bottom left.

Top Bottom