• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best available streamer for benchmark dac3

Pjetrof

Title says it all.
what would you guys recommend, which streamer has the same quality as the benchmark Dac?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Raspi/Allo DigiOne, but just because Chromecast Audio is out of production. Will also support 24/192.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Atomic Pi

Does it roon? Which audio hats are available? What's a "streamer" anyway?

Just realize the Raspberry Pi will deliver everything that can be output via USB. So just drop the allo HAT. ;-)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Well, I am open source guy, so I do not care Roon more than this, I know how to write code, and I do for my pleasure and the ability to read into the Logitech Media Server source code.
Atomic Pi is a SBC without hat. SMSL, Topping, Sabaj are happily connected on the USB port.

I also use a lot of Raspberry and orange pi and banana pi for other things. The Atomic Pi for my use case is the best Among all these SBC and the price versus power is of course in favour of the Intel powered card against the ARM ones.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Screenshot_2020-06-22-21-44-04-292_com.android.chrome.jpg

Look at this. This is a picture from the next version of W10.

I use my computers for my job. I don't have a TV set and don't care Netflix. I don't care xbox, candy crush etc... Today Microsoft Windows is just a sort of big add. No thanks.

I want a system for coding, that's all.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Title says it all.
what would you guys recommend, which streamer has the same quality as the benchmark Dac?
Unless someone can provide evidence to the contrary, all you need is a Raspberry Pi. The 4 has a lot more power than the 3 and has USB 3 as well as USB 2. Get a dedicated PS, an inexpensive case (to keep the dust off), µSD card of at least 8 GB, your SW of choice, and you're off.

The Pro-ject Stream Box <https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/> has had good reviews but I really can't see that's it's worth anything like the money. OTOH, compared with lunatic products such as the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme, it's some bargain!

Reactions: mkt

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Title says it all.

What exactly do you stream? Is it from a NAS or a streaming service, like Tidal?

Willem

Major Contributor
There are no sonic differences so it all boils down to price and convenience, including app availability. My vote would go to the CCA, but you may also look at the latest Sonos offerings. Or indeed a Pi.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Just streaming service.

In that case, I have to agree with Willem. Chromecast Audio using the digital output.

As far as I am aware you can’t get better sound quality feeding a competent DAC.

Also, any other solution will require using software which probably will not work as well as simply casting from the streaming app (Spotify, Tidal etc.)

I know they are discontinued, but I think it’s worth trying to get a used one.

Anyway, no harm in trying one, it’s only £30. Loose change, if you’re spending £2000 on a DAC.

Edit: Willem just beat me to it.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromecast Audio using the digital output? I use one with my RME ADI-2 and it works a treat, without any sonic impairment. Maximum resolution is 24/96, but that is already more than makes sense.
I thought they were discontinued, any suggestions how to get some? I need four.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I thought they were discontinued, any suggestions how to get some? I need four.

Don't know about your location, but there are always some available on ebay, although they usually cost more than the original price.

Top Bottom