• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AV Processor under $3k? Lexicon MC-10, Anthem AVM 60, or something else?

miike888

Ugh, I didn't say trust my ears or anyone else's, trust your own.

Serious question - do all electronics sound the same to you?

All electronics sound the same if they dont degrade the signal to an audible level in Sinad measurements or has an filter built in that changes the frequencie curve......all this is very easy to measure!

Note: price vs performance is almost 0 in audiogear.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Non-sequitur. Nobody claims all electronics sound the same, just electronics that measure the same.

I have a few guitar amps which all sounds different. They will also show up in measurements.

Does one sound better than the other or just different?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Serious question - do all electronics sound the same to you?

Depends on how hard I shake them, and what's loose inside...

Of course I don't believe they do... Some aren't very well designed, and get in the way of a clean signal. If you are asking if I think there is hidden Woo that can't be measured, the answer is no. If you can hear it, you can measure it.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Does one sound better than the other or just different?
False choice. For guitar amps both.

The former depends on one's personal preference or the choice of music. I use different amps depending on which song I am playing.

Hi-fi equipment isn't designed for coloring sound that way. But some may prefer the high distortion induced sound of tube amps. Some may prefer rolled off highs and think it warm, etc. But all of these typically show up in measurements. The controversy is in equipment that measure the same within audible limits and yet people claim that they sound different AND that one is better than the other. The latter has difficulty standing up to objective scrutiny.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Now you are getting into trolling territory. Please stop before people stop seeing as a useful resource here.

I'm not trolling - that's not what this is about - I'm the one who's getting challenged for having my own opinion and thoughts on this...

Vasr

Major Contributor
I'm not trolling - that's not what this is about - I'm the one who's getting challenged for having my own opinion and thoughts on this...

You can make your point rather than asking tangential or strawman one-liner questions which seemingly have nothing to do with anything under discussion. Otherwise, it isn't any different from trolling.

miike888

But opinions is worth 0 if you dont have scientific facts behind your believes.

serious question: what are you most afraid of?

1. that youve been believing in wrong audio propaganda for decades.

2. or that you can really learn the facts about audio reproduction by questioning the thing youve ”learned”

Vasr

Major Contributor
But opinions is worth 0 if you dont have scientific facts behind your believes.

serious question: what are you most afraid of?

1. that youve been believing in wrong audio propaganda for decades.

2. or that you can really learn the facts about audio reproduction by questioning the thing youve ”learned”

Ad hominems don't really help.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You are not doing yourself or Anthem any favors with your opinions like this. We at ASR love having manufacturers on here but it’s definitely not for your subjective opinion. Please stick to facts and I would highly recommend not responding to further posts on your opinions. I was seriously considering buying Anthem products and if the company’s representative is posting baseless claims, it is a huge turn off. If you continue respond to the barrage of posts against your claims, things will only get exponentially worse. We’ve seen this happen in another thread recently.

Would appreciate if you stick around and provide us facts. Thank you.

Reluctantly Tagging @Thomas savage before this devolves into another cesspool of shit posts.

cbrents73

Audio Company
You are not doing yourself or Anthem any favors with your opinions like this. We at ASR love having manufacturers on here but it’s definitely not for your subjective opinion. Please stick to facts and I would highly recommend not responding to further posts on your opinions. I was seriously considering buying Anthem products and if the company’s representative is posting baseless claims, it is a huge turn off. If you continue respond to the barrage of posts against your claims, things will only get exponentially worse. We’ve seen this happen in another thread recently.

Would appreciate if you stick around and provide us facts. Thank you.

Look, I'm totally sorry about all this to all of you - I'm only trying to help, really! I'm not here for anything other than to share the love of our industry and be of help for those that have questions. I don't get paid to be on this site - this part is the hobby for me - not the profession. Maybe I should've remained anonymous, but I want people to feel they can engage with us or any of our Dealers to get what you need. Going to our Dealers is ultimately what I would like to happen the most, but I want to be an ear when someone isn't getting all that they need.

I'll keep my opinions to myself and just try to give answers to what's asked - deal?

rccarguy

Look, I'm totally sorry about all this to all of you - I'm only trying to help, really! I'm not here for anything other than to share the love of our industry and be of help for those that have questions. I don't get paid to be on this site - this part is the hobby for me - not the profession. Maybe I should've remained anonymous, but I want people to feel they can engage with us or any of our Dealers to get what you need. Going to our Dealers is ultimately what I would like to happen the most, but I want to be an ear when someone isn't getting all that they need.

I'll keep my opinions to myself and just try to give answers to what's asked - deal?

Sent me a avm90 for free to keep and I'll happy agree with you.

Last edited:

truwarrior22

I believe in break in to some extent. My speakers, when new, literally opened up while playing loud (assuming it was the speakers since they were the newest component). I would think it’s harder to notice on an AVR, etc. Interesting about the heat and amplifier performance. Many are installing fans directly on the amplifier/AVR. Does Anthem have an opinion of using such devices such as the aircom T8, etc?

Sleipner

Hi!

maybe somebody already asked for this.

can you send a AVM60 to Amir to measure?

//Mike

I would rather see the new AVM70 tested. :)
Really interested in this instead of the HTP-1 (not available here) and the Emotiva XMC-2 that seems to have some fw and Dirac problems still to this day.

cebrents73 Would Anthem be able to send one out for a review? This is a dealbreaker for at lest me, to see a review of the AVM70 before buying.

Sleipner

Monoprice ships worldwide and the HTP-1 is multivoltage 100-240V ready.

Yeah, I've seen that. But even it it's rare, I've read about some quality problems and I won't order something for 5000$+ (the price at my door) if there a risk of me having to send it for repairs over seas.
The Emotiva and Anthem have resellers here. And if they can't repair it themself, they are obligated to repair it for me without additional costs under warranty.

Monoprice couldn't tell me if their European part of the company would sell it or not in the future. Great communication within the same company, not.... Seems like a great product otherwise!

TimoJ

Yeah, I've seen that. But even it it's rare, I've read about some quality problems and I won't order something for 5000$+ (the price at my door) if there a risk of me having to send it for repairs over seas.
The Emotiva and Anthem have resellers here. And if they can't repair it themself, they are obligated to repair it for me without additional costs under warranty.

Monoprice couldn't tell me if their European part of the company would sell it or not in the future. Great communication within the same company, not.... Seems like a great product otherwise!
Monoprice EU told me that they will sell the HTP-1. But that was last spring, who knows when it actually happens. Currently sold HTP-1 already has 100-240V back panel markings and WLAN setting now has country selection, so that may indicate something. Monoprice pays warranty repair's shipping both ways, couple users have verified that with their US support.

Top Bottom