• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AV Processor under $3k? Lexicon MC-10, Anthem AVM 60, or something else?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have attached the Theory and Design Document from the DC-1. I am fairly sure there isn't a single current Mfg including Lexicon that provides such a detailed guide about how their system works. I looked through the Rotel, the current MC12 and Denon Docs but none of them had documents like this.

I don't think most mass market AVRs have the capability to create a custom soundscape and room effects as your manual describes. In the price range you want to may need to use a PC and find a media player program that can give you that kind of digital signal processing control.

Leo05$

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the music surround environment
But I know you can use the audessey app to tweak the room correction target curves to your personal preference. And I believe you can now save 2 different audessey settings and switch between them. Aside from the various standard effects available on the Denon, like all channel stereo, and stadium, hall etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq

An A/V Receiver is not really the direction I want to go. I migrated from Integrated to separates when I traded in my Adcom GTP-600 for the Lexicon.

Leo05$

I don't think most mass market AVRs have the capability to create a custom soundscape and room effects as your manual describes. In the price range you want to may need to use a PC and find a media player program that can give you that kind of digital signal processing control.

Yup, that's why when my DC-1 failed to exit from Diagnostic Mode just before Christmas really had be bummed out. The built in Stereo up-mix environments were revolutionary for their time but I fear since the invention of the iPod and cheap audio gear there is much less interest in up-mixing 2Ch stereo source material, most people can't even tell the difference between a 160k MP3 and a 240k file or lossy and lossless audio.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, that's why when my DC-1 failed to exit from Diagnostic Mode just before Christmas really had be bummed out. The built in Stereo up-mix environments were revolutionary for their time but I fear since the invention of the iPod and cheap audio gear there is much less interest in up-mixing 2Ch stereo source material, most people can't even tell the difference between a 160k MP3 and a 240k file or lossy and lossless audio.

Most AVRs will upmix 2ch audio. That's not what I was referring to. Also you are among friends who value high fidelity audio.

I meant that the capabilities your manual described about recreating a specific room acoustics are not supported. You can create that with a PC using DSP and then sending a digit signal into an AVR to get what you want for music. Maybe another option is to use an octo dac8 with a PC and separate amp. Check out it's specs.

ArturoKiwi

Do you expect drastic/significant differences from the 60?
For the AV70 I don't know, I think they have improved the circulation (??? Sorry English is not my primary language) , the AV90 has an AK4499EQ, so theoretically must be better.

rccarguy

Could just be faulty PSU I had my mc-1 and mc-8 PSU caps replaced twice, and fit on another forum had rebooting issue, new caps sorted it

rccarguy

Thanks, I already looked through it. Unfortunately the really high scoring products are out of my price point. I'm curious, I haven't seen anyone answer a question I posed about music surround environments. I am looking for something that might be able to generate some of the custom music environments my DC-1 has. Any thoughts?
I'm holding onto my mc-8 for a while longer I like logic 7 modes

snickers

If you are using the Logic7 on your Lexicon, you will be disappointed with the "new" up-mixers for music.

I've tryed out now DSU, Dolby Pro Logic2, DTS Neural:X, DTS NEO:6 and the Yamaha own ones.
Dolby PL2 is the "best" alternative to L7 for me, but even this isn't a proper replace.

So I'm also still stuck with my Harman 7550 due to L7 implementation.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I had a Lexicon DC-1 back in the 90's and loved it

I still have my DC-1 (with all the add-ons). In fact, I may set it up again, as Lexicon got a lot right back in the day. I have been using an old Krell Showcase downstairs...maybe time to rotate that one in. Logic 7...

TimoJ

If you are using the Logic7 on your Lexicon, you will be disappointed with the "new" up-mixers for music.

I've tryed out now DSU, Dolby Pro Logic2, DTS Neural:X, DTS NEO:6 and the Yamaha own ones.
Dolby PL2 is the "best" alternative to L7 for me, but even this isn't a proper replace.

I and many others like HTP-1's Auromatic upmixer for music. For me it's actually the first upmixer that I like.

Leo05$

Most AVRs will upmix 2ch audio. That's not what I was referring to. Also you are among friends who value high fidelity audio.

I meant that the capabilities your manual described about recreating a specific room acoustics are not supported. You can create that with a PC using DSP and then sending a digit signal into an AVR to get what you want for music. Maybe another option is to use an octo dac8 with a PC and separate amp. Check out it's specs.

Beershaun, I understood what you said. What I meant was the up-mixing customization I had in one box (DC-1 is dead stuck in Diagnostic Loop) I will have to replace with an outboard S/W or hardware module. Was looking at this yesterday:

https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/pcm96-surround-digital
https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/pcm-total-bundle

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the AV70 I don't know, I think they have improved the circulation (??? Sorry English is not my primary language) , the AV90 has an AK4499EQ, so theoretically must be better.

Yeah circulation doesn't make much sense. What's the word/language?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Is this for a particular type of music?

Leo05$

I still have my DC-1 (with all the add-ons). In fact, I may set it up again, as Lexicon got a lot right back in the day. I have been using an old Krell Showcase downstairs...maybe time to rotate that one in. Logic 7...

BDWoody,
If you do, try spending the time to properly setup the Panorama environment using their setup guide; then when you have the tilt and and the center fine tuned put on a good rock Album/CD and compare that to any other room environment on another system and post your feedback. I am just curious if I got so used to that environment listening to my music that it may have tainted my perception. One suggestion, if you have a copy of Fresh air VI or VII set the environment to Music Surround and tell me what you think. Thx in advance and for the post.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beershaun, I understood what you said. What I meant was the up-mixing customization I had in one box (DC-1 is dead stuck in Diagnostic Loop) I will have to replace with an outboard S/W or hardware module. Was looking at this yesterday:

https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/pcm96-surround-digital
https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/pcm-total-bundle
Sounds like that will give you the customization you are looking for and leave ~2k for an av receiver or preamp. Let us know how it goes. There are definitely some people here who really want to create a 3d surround music experience with their multi channel setups.

What do you think of using the octo dac 8 and going full separates for your use case?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/

Last edited:

snickers

I and many others like HTP-1's Auromatic upmixer for music. For me it's actually the first upmixer that I like.

Auro is the one, that I never heard yet and I really would like to! Also that you can adjust it a bit is really a good point for me.

Leo05$

Get psu serviced
I actually took the cover off again the other night, I noticed the main board ROM DIP Chip was not seated. I pulled it out and one of the pins broke off. I was able to trim the broken pin and solder a new one from a Mitsubishi TV Voltage reg chip and jam that back in the pin socket then solder the pin to the trimmed base of the package. I re-seated the DTS card and powered it up. It went through the diagnostic loop once like normal then triggered the selected output and flashed the system specs. I spent last night tuning speaker output levels, setting up speaker distance, size and crossover points for the different surround modes. I cranked up a DTS DVD of Eagles Hell Freezes over and it seems to be working fine. I am still going to be in the market to replace as all the inputs and outputs on this are way out of date and I want to be able to stream my music collection from my NAS; but now I have time to decide and my decision won't hinge on any need to listen to my music or play movies with full surround. I actually work as an Electronics Eng. Tech in Semiconductors; but my bench tech skills have fallen off in the last Decade since we don't do much discrete t-shooting any more. Everything is module swap. I may still replace the PSU and the backup battery is also dead so I have to keep it on standby to prevent the unit from dumping my settings. Cheers. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom