• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best audio streamer for amazon music HD

bannani

Hi,
Actually I use an LFD amplifier with Harbeth speaker with a small dac SMSL . I need now to stream my amazon music. I use actually a mibox which is an android box which works quite well as endpoint or with the built in app amazon.
The problem is the output is limited to 16/44.1.
I need to find a streamer with HD ouput.
I read so much things but amazon music HD did not seem to be well associated with streamer.
Thanks

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
can you tell me more about mibox? 16/44.1 is fine for me. (i can't tell the difference between lossy compression and CDs anyway)

bud947

@bannani simply use your mibox as pure digital streamer (through USB out) and let your DAC do the decoding part.

thefsb

I believe this is the latest version they have out for it

https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s

I've never used the Mi Box. I have an Nvidia Shield Pro, which is also an Android TV box. Works great.
Do these devices work without a TV? All I can find about them relates to their features for video streaming. They seem generally similar to my Roku, the UI of which doesn't work without the projector being on.

And how does chromecast work? If, using my phone, I start playing music from my server or from a network service, is the stream coming to the phone and then to the streamer box? Or can I turn my phone off and the playlist continues?

UPDATE: I found this https://darko.audio/2020/10/15-more-thoughts-on-the-xiaomi-mi-box-s/ I don't want to have to use a TV and a 10' UI to play music.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do these devices work without a TV? All I can find about them relates to their features for video streaming. They seem generally similar to my Roku, the UI of which doesn't work without the projector being on.

And how does chromecast work? If, using my phone, I start playing music from my server or from a network service, is the stream coming to the phone and then to the streamer box? Or can I turn my phone off and the playlist continues?

UPDATE: I found this https://darko.audio/2020/10/15-more-thoughts-on-the-xiaomi-mi-box-s/ I don't want to have to use a TV and a 10' UI to play music.

Right. Android TV boxes have HDMI out that must be connected to either a TV or a monitor in order to use the Android interface. And with my Nvidia Shield Pro, there is no analog out. So my AVR processes the digital audio. Not sure if the Mi Box has analog out.

Midwest Blade

I use the Amazon Echo Link which has a 16/48 for output. But I am fine with 16/44 as I cannot discern any difference with higher resolution material. I push the signal via the coax connection to my Yamaha AS301 for my condo system. Amazon Music HD is my sole source for this system and the streaming works perfectly via the Echo Link. I am trending to keep simplifying my system choices.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe this is the latest version they have out for it

https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s

I've never used the Mi Box. I have an Nvidia Shield Pro, which is also an Android TV box. Works great.
Does the shield do the usual android trick of resampling everything to 48khz though, even digital out?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the shield do the usual android trick of resampling everything to 48khz though, even digital out?

That's a good question. I never looked into that because it's getting hires multi-channel audio. I sort of assumed it wouldn't be resampling everything.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a good question. I never looked into that because it's getting hires multi-channel audio. I sort of assumed it wouldn't be resampling everything.

I may be wrong and confusing with something else, but I think its one of the reasons (this is a few years back) I didnt go with one. Now, if it doesm whether that is to the detriment of the SQ is an entirely different question! But as the OP is looking to losslessly stream HD, its one for them to check (with any Android based device, not just the Shield)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may be wrong and confusing with something else, but I think its one of the reasons (this is a few years back) I didnt go with one. Now, if it doesm whether that is to the detriment of the SQ is an entirely different question! But as the OP is looking to losslessly stream HD, its one for them to check (with any Android based device, not just the Shield)

Just did a little research. Not sure I completely understand this table. But it looks like it depends on the app and what sampling rate as to whether or not resampling occurs on the Nvidia Shield

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-i-play-high-resolution-audio-on-my-shield-tv

LDvo

I use the Amazon Input to stream. Wonder if it can stream in HD if I have subscription to Amazon HD ?

thefsb

I use the Amazon Echo Link which has a 16/48 for output. But I am fine with 16/44 as I cannot discern any difference with higher resolution material. I push the signal via the coax connection to my Yamaha AS301 for my condo system. Amazon Music HD is my sole source for this system and the streaming works perfectly via the Echo Link. I am trending to keep simplifying my system choices.
I think the Echo Link might be worth a try.

MrDogg

I was in the same dilemma if we have a good prime day I'm going to pick up a link and use a show with it to give a small display

Dingo

Take a serious look at the Andover Audio Song Bird. I bought one just for Amazon music and for a while, chased the 24/96 route but found that a dead end on a budget. The Song Bird is good for 24/96 on Tidal and Qobuz right now via its analog output and the manufacturer promises the same for Amazon in the near future. The digital output is down sampled to 16/44 but to tell you the truth, it still sounds damned good to my ears. Andover says they resample as this product can be set up in a multi unit arrangement and it will help in keeping your network from being over loaded. Pardon my wording; I'm not too bright when it comes to this stuff. They also do that to make it more compatible with DACs in older and lesser advanced amps. Their software is designed by Link Play and works very nicely for the most part and is pretty intuitive and fast as hell to boot. I bought myself a small tablet just for this system and spent just $250 for both pieces. It also has the advantage of having both its digital and analog output active at the same time. I have the analog output going to my Cambridge and the digital going to its Wolfson DAC and can quickly switch between the two as a means of DAC sound comparisons, or, to see which one offers a more preferable sound given any source material or speakers I may be using. Rest assured that the Cirrus Logic DAC in the Song Bird has nothing to be ashamed of.
Another advantage is its size. I used the supplied velcro and attached it to the back of my cabinet reducing the count of additional visual cables. Unlike the Echo Link, there is no confusing source switching and is simply done in the app making the unit something of a budget preamp if needed as it does have its own volume control although no equalizer is yet available. It also has a long list of services it will play including Tunein, Iheart etc and can store favorites. The only thing I don't really like is the fact that the app won't rotate but that's not much to worry about. In the end, this simple thing sounds really, really good for the price and even an idiot like me can make it work.

thefsb

I was in the same dilemma if we have a good prime day I'm going to pick up a link and use a show with it to give a small display
Do you plan to use the Echo Link with a small TV?

thefsb

Take a serious look at the Andover Audio Song Bird. I bought one just for Amazon music and for a while, chased the 24/96 route but found that a dead end on a budget. The Song Bird is good for 24/96 on Tidal and Qobuz right now via its analog output and the manufacturer promises the same for Amazon in the near future. The digital output is down sampled to 16/44 but to tell you the truth, it still sounds damned good to my ears. Andover says they resample as this product can be set up in a multi unit arrangement and it will help in keeping your network from being over loaded. Pardon my wording; I'm not too bright when it comes to this stuff. They also do that to make it more compatible with DACs in older and lesser advanced amps. Their software is designed by Link Play and works very nicely for the most part and is pretty intuitive and fast as hell to boot. I bought myself a small tablet just for this system and spent just $250 for both pieces. It also has the advantage of having both its digital and analog output active at the same time. I have the analog output going to my Cambridge and the digital going to its Wolfson DAC and can quickly switch between the two as a means of DAC sound comparisons, or, to see which one offers a more preferable sound given any source material or speakers I may be using. Rest assured that the Cirrus Logic DAC in the Song Bird has nothing to be ashamed of.
Another advantage is its size. I used the supplied velcro and attached it to the back of my cabinet reducing the count of additional visual cables. Unlike the Echo Link, there is no confusing source switching and is simply done in the app making the unit something of a budget preamp if needed as it does have its own volume control although no equalizer is yet available. It also has a long list of services it will play including Tunein, Iheart etc and can store favorites. The only thing I don't really like is the fact that the app won't rotate but that's not much to worry about. In the end, this simple thing sounds really, really good for the price and even an idiot like me can make it work.
That seems like the kind of thing I'd need to try out to see if it works for us. Very interesting.

Have you used an Echo Link?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Link set up as the 'speaker' for a Show 8 and the Ultra HD subscription. I use the Link digital output to a DAC. It's OK. I really wish the Link would stream Ultra HD, and I wish the Show knew how to be a better display for the Link. It annoys me that is always offers to show me left wing WaPo news videos videos and brownie recipes and crap. In a perfect world, the Link would let me broadcast an LP to all the Amazon devices in the house, something they could easily do with a firmware update.

Top Bottom