• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best audio equalizer for phones - Sennheiser HD800, Topping G5 and Tidal

Egoquaero

Hey guys, I'm looking for the best audio equalizer for iOS, if there's one for my needs.
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD800 that I normally listen to on a Macbook with Sonarworks reference, which flattens HD800's frequency response curve and adds a bit of bass on top of the flattening. I just can't listen to them without EQ, they're just too bright for my taste.
I've recently bought a Topping G5 and I’ve found its bluetooth quality to be not that bad at all when paired with an iPhone 14 Pro. It’s just so convenient. So the only problem now is that I’m listening to the original frequency tuning of the Sennheiser HD800, which is too bright for me. Is there an iOS app that fixes this problem like Sonarworks does with on my macbook pro? Or do I need just a general parametric eq? (I use Tidal on my iPhone to listen to music)

Cheers!

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
I would recommend the Equalizer Apo which I use on my PC. For whatever reason though I could not get it to install properly on my Samsung phone and finally gave up. But others may have had better luck--I like it that can use it as graphic or parametric mode and change on the fly. I should note that much of this functionality is because of the Peace Equalizer GUI. No idea if theres a MAC version unfortunately.

Without that, it's quite tedious in that you have to delimit all the filter specs in a txt file--center point, boost, Q, etc. But it's great if you are applying known presets for a headphone EQ as those can be cut and pasted as a group. They are often provided on headphone reviews here on ASR.

Top Bottom