• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Android TV player for USB audio output for Nvidia Shield?

dosifey

Hi,

I am utilising Nvidia Shield USB Audio output.

I am a big Kodi fan, as evertyhing works perfectly there from UI perspective: no need to sideload, it is very easy and quick to control it via remote, it plays my movies, music and even family photos and videos, it uses album art correctly and handles cue files. It works like a swiss clock.

However, I found one annoying problem there: it uses the Android built in USB audio drivers. So, when using that you have two options on Nvidia Shield: you either downsample all files to 16 bit 44100 Hz and then it works fine, or, you could upsample to 192/384Khz (random choice) and 24 bit with digital artifacts (clicking noise) as my DAC is only 24 bit 96Khz capable.

The latter option is absolutely not acceptable, first option is just bad. Why would you downsample 16 bit 48000 Hz audio files to 44100 Hz? It makes no sense! Of course, my hi res music recorded and stored in 24 bit 96000 Hz is played downsampled which is a joke.

So, I tried the usb audio player pro... There is no way to trial it, so I had to buy it to try. After using it for one day I am almost ready to uninstall it although I paid money for it. It's interface is almost not usable on Android TV. Very awkward control by remote, poor UI, multiple prompts popping out every time you start the Shield or player...

Is there any way to have the best of both worlds? No unnecessary up or downsampling while also having a usable UI?.. Even then, I guess I would have to live with downsampling of video files as there is no video player capable of maintaining sampling via USB audio...

MontyGibbon

The UAPP developer was really receptive to emails when I was struggling with the app on a Nvidia Shield. That was a couple of years back though (... stuff in storage) and I can't remember the specific glitches. Nothing lost by running it by them.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

The UAPP developer was really receptive to emails when I was struggling with the app on a Nvidia Shield. That was a couple of years back though (... stuff in storage) and I can't remember the specific glitches. Nothing lost by running it by them.
Thanks I did try. He said he was not interested because there was little revenue from Android TV developing. To which I said that the only reason I bought it was to use it on Android TV...

But anyway, just as I said before, the main problem is that any audio player only sorts out music. Not the video.

Last edited:

extreamsd

Thanks I did try. He said he was not interested because there was little revenue from Android TV developing. To which I said that the only reason I bought it was to use it on Android TV...

But anyway, just as I said before, the main problem is that any audio player only sorts out music. Not the video.

When you quote, quote it right:
"Truth is, we'd very much want to, but we estimate it's at least 3 months of work with little revenue and therefore it's lower on the priority list. "

OP
dosifey

dosifey

When you quote, quote it right:
"Truth is, we'd very much want to, but we estimate it's at least 3 months of work with little revenue and therefore it's lower on the priority list. "
You want it to turn into "he said she said"? And to that I said that it was a very hypoctritical comment: you do want it done but do not want to conduct any work towards it.

My friend, if you could turn half of the energy you spend arguing on the internet into developing - you would create the best player in the world.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

VLC player has an audio pass through, plus, you can select from two audio drivers in settings (OpenSL ES and standard Android). Does this mean that it can handle correct original sampling rate via USB?.. My Matrix X SPDIF 2 does not show the current sampling rate.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

what's wrong with 44,1?
I have movies which are 48000, and high def music which is 24/96 and sometimes something else as well. I have written it all above in the original post.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

OP
dosifey

dosifey

... which can be configured for bit-perfect audio output.
Yeah, wonderful... How does this resolve bit perfect sound in videos? How is it better than UAPP?

linuxfan

Well I accurately answered one half of what you asked for in the original post.
I'm sorry for being helpful, but I won't make the same mistake twice. Have a nice life.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Well I accurately answered one half of what you asked for in the original post.
I'm sorry for being helpful, but I won't make the same mistake twice. Have a nice life.
Sorry princess, I did thank you. I must have worded the original post badly thus you did not understand what I was asking for.

For all of the less precious members who would like to help:

I am looking for:
1. Ideally, an OS decision for Android which will produce non resampled sound out of USB out regardless of the player.
2. Workaround: a media player which would play audio and video files with non resampled sound out of USB out.
3. Or at least: an alternative of UAPP allowing non resampled sound out of USB out but a player that was actually designed for Android TV without sideloading and with a good interface suitable for remote control.

Last edited:

linuxfan

Princess, huh? Well you have just earned yourself some names, too.
Take note, anyone who plans to contribute an answer/response, of the way you may be treated by this individual.

Drengur

Forum Donor
I've been having the same 'issues' as well. It is not a pressing matter at all, but I did go about finding solutions way back when, but to no avail. I'll subscribe to this thread if anyone has any solutions.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

I've been having the same 'issues' as well. It is not a pressing matter at all, but I did go about finding solutions way back when, but to no avail. I'll subscribe to this thread if anyone has any solutions.
I had a lengthy discussion with Nvidia Level 2 tech support about this issue, as Nvidia devs could fix this issue in the best way. Unfortunately, communcation with Nvidia customer support was somewhat broken and I did not recieve any ETA or any indication of when they may change the settings under sound.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you install Poweramp on Nvidia Shield? I know it was problematic a couple of years ago, not sure about now...

The UI is good (at least on the phone) and it has an option of bypassing a resampler, at least on some devices that support HD audio, like my Shanling M3X.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Can you install Poweramp on Nvidia Shield? I know it was problematic a couple of years ago, not sure about now...

The UI is good (at least on the phone) and it has an option of bypassing a resampler, at least on some devices that support HD audio, like my Shanling M3X.
Thanks, I tried them all - Neutron, Poweramp, UAPP... Could not find foobar2000 APK quickly, but I doubt it will be much different, all require sideloading and all work badly with Shield remote. None of them play videos.

VLC update - same as Kodi, has passthrough settings and even has different audio drivers... But it does not change sampling rate via USB.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bummer.

I suspect Plex does the same?

Top Bottom