• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best amplifiers at each price bracket?

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
0FBE3E60-5842-478D-8276-2C1EF38F619E.jpeg

This table was kindly provided by a member of Focal group on FB. It includes amplifiers who double power from 8 to 4 Ohms, and have streaming capabilities.

Thorskin

Is there a point in buying a NC252MP over a a800?

How does a Allo Volt+ D comapre? Should it be included in the low bracket?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 72114
This table was kindly provided by a member of Focal group on FB. It includes amplifiers who double power from 8 to 4 Ohms, and have streaming capabilities.
I bet most of those would not actually double their power at 1% THD+N when going from 8 to 4 ohms. What happens is that the manufacturers, knowing that customers value this, they just rate their 8 ohms power "conservatively" lower so that it doubles when going 8 to 4 ohms. Noone can blame them for lower specs, right? If you check independent and standardized measurements you will see the true values. For example at Soundstage they have many.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=19

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I bet most of those would not actually double their power at 1% THD+N when going from 8 to 4 ohms. What happens is that the manufacturers, knowing that customers value this, they just rate their 8 ohms power "conservatively" lower so that it doubles when going 8 to 4 ohms. Noone can blame them for lower specs, right? If you check independent and standardized measurements you will see the true values. For example at Soundstage they have many.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=19
Sondstage has mostly high-end equipment which is not so interesting to me, but I have tried to find few pieces :

There was no H390 but there was H360 :
  • Output power at 1% THD+N: 231.1W @ 8 ohms, 468.3 @ 4 ohms
  • Output power at 10% THD+N: 281.3W @ 8 ohms, 564.7W @ 4 ohms

Gryphon Diablo 120:

• Power output at 1% THD+N: 133.3W @ 8 ohms, 241.3W @ 4 ohms
  • Power output at 10% THD+N: 179.2W @ 8 ohms, 318.0W @ 4 ohms
Not exactly 2x, but 90% of that.

Although I see that Yamaha 2200 was entered as 80W, but I think it is specked as 90W/160W, so in that case we could say
that table entry was not correct.

In global, I think it is more then solid base for further discussion.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Just got my Parasound 2145. First listen, it is fine. May be a tad bright, but my sub is not hooked up, so a balance maybe. Bream's guitar stays clean. Joan Baez sounds natural. Not done Harry James yet. For the sale price, $600 on my door step, pretty tough to beat. The other amp I had my eye on is the Schiit Vidar. Is it the equal of the HCA1500 when new? Difficult to say. That series had parts no longer available. I would love to see the schematic on the new one to see what they did. Big transformer, but very small caps. Still can't bring myself to a class D. March was the possible choice for an N-core.

Great old used amps, but the all need a lot of work. As I found, some replacement parts are NLA or can only bought in lots of 10,000 with a 6 month lead. I am re-engineering the power supply in my MOSFET amp and my Nakamichi pre. Distortion on both is higher than I measured years ago, so if they can be made up to snuff I do not know for sure. Nak PA-5, Adcom, Aragon, HCA-2200. Yea some really nice amps in the day. There was a small rare Krell before they got insane that was really good.

I see those who contest you can't beat the specs of the new class D. I agree in objective specs, but I am still not sure we know what to measure. A good example was the null test Hafler proposed. It petty much said his amps had no audible distortion, yet they were different in sound than others. Not only that, I was able to improve on them some while doing similar things to a Rotel and then they sounded closer. I wish I could spend some time with the better affordable class D, maybe I'll change my mind, but I want the safe route. None to be borrowed/heard around here.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Just a thought when looking at specs. I see by some convention class D are rated at 100%, so numbers are terrible. But at 99%, the are excellent. So we can't just play numbers games. Give me specs at 20W maybe.

Top Bottom