• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Amp for SMSL M400 - do I need preamp?

OP
S

Sg86

Back to topic though, I dont know what I need that is the issue. Happy to buy used of course.

I'm still lost as to why active speakers would be a good option as many dont supporter high res audio?

Isnt the better option to get a good amp and then upgrade speakers?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Back to topic though, I dont know what I need that is the issue. Happy to buy used of course.

I'm still lost as to why active speakers would be a good option as many dont supporter high res audio?

Isnt the better option to get a good amp and then upgrade speakers?

The speaker inputs are analog, so hi-res isn't part of the issue. The DAC turns the bits into an analog voltage stream which is what comes out of the DAC. The speakers don't get a digital signal.

OP
S

Sg86

The speaker inputs are analog, so hi-res isn't part of the issue. The DAC turns the bits into an analog voltage stream which is what comes out of the DAC. The speakers don't get a digital signal.

Not sure what these so called hi res speakers are then, some are labelled as 96 and 196khz

OP
S

Sg86

So i think after research i will still go with passive, more flexibility in the future.

I will maybe get this NC500 amp from Nord but some reviewers say its a tad bright so other options are welcome!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not sure what these so called hi res speakers are then, some are labelled as 96 and 196khz

They likely have an option for digital input as well.

My JBL's have both:

1122200712_copy_918x918.jpg

I am plugged into the analog XLR input.

The other is an AES/EBU digital input, which i could also use, but don't have to. (It allows chaining, so I would connect the 'through' digital output to the other speaker, and I can choose which channel each then decodes. I wouldn't need an external DAC at all if I used this option.

An analog signal doesn't have a sample rate, so it just doesn't apply to an analog input. You are already getting whatever resolution the DAC/file has to give in it's analog output.

Did that make sense?

Edit:. Here's the DAC and the other speaker.
1122200819_copy_918x918.jpg

Wow... Need to dust...

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont understand the suggestion of these speakers or many active ones as they dont support the maximum high res that comes out of the M400, so whats the point? Am I missing yet something else? :)
Oh yes, you're missing many things: ;)
Such things don't exist in the real world. You really should focus on performance rather than marketing labeling.:)

...Unless you're talking about active speakers which include DACs inside (KEF LSX and so on) but that's another topic.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I advise you to get any cable that would nicely plug into the output and input you want to fill.
Do NOT search for a "hi-res" cable, but do not try and search for a "low-res" cable neither.
Just a standard cable will do. If afterwards you feel like you are in need for an upgrade, come back.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guess?

I use the Ssssssssssssnake from Thomann:

View attachment 95095

When using this cccccable, I've noticed music is no more organic, but positively oooooorgasmic, especially when listening to Melody Gardot.
+1 for sound description,
but I broke a Snake cable connector in the past and now I'm buying Cordial. Probably bad luck...

Anyway be sure to search "snake" without "oil" after.

OP
S

Sg86

Hi,

Im looking at the Hypex 500mp modules and I'm wondering if someone can tell me the difference between Nords NC500DM and Audophonics HPA-S500NC?

From what I can see they both have 2 x NC500 modules so why the £400 difference?

OP
S

Sg86

Bump for advice on the above two units before I pull the trigger!

Also does the MKII have a worthwhile upgrade over the MKI Nord unit, and does anyone know when it was released?

OP
S

Sg86

Here is the space, it's annoying my seating position is closer to the right speaker yes. Currently these two speakers are wall mounted above 600mm above desk level but the second image shows the size of the room better.

What would you recommend for speakers here? I could move the tower under the desk and put speakers back on the desk if that makes it easier.

I'm going for a Ncore 500 amp in one way shape or form, or maybe even the newer Purifi, so happy to spend virtually whatever on speakers if they are worthwhile being so close to me.

20200804_120653-crop.jpg
IMG_20190405_111136-crop.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom