• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best amp/dac option for Bayerdynamic DT 1990

82Cloudz

I was looking to purchase my first amp/dac to use with my Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I am torn between the JDS Atom stack, Schiit magni heresy/modi stack, and the new Topping DX3 pro+. I also will be using them with other heaphones/IEM's in the future and would appreciate some advice on what would be my best option.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I've had the DT1990 several times for business. The JDS Atom stack works really well, and the soundstage was little better than the Topping L30/E30 which is nice, but couldn't find any filters beside 2 or maybe 5 that were ok. The Magni Heresy and Khadas tone board were a great combo with them. I currently have the SMSL SP200 and still have the tone board on it, but if I got the DT1990 again I'd match it to the Magni Heresy. Any of those amps will drive them. They do have a hint of sibilance in bright tracks, and the Heresy is more forgiving than the Topping. I have a Magni 3+ Modi 3+ coming in a few days, and going to pair them with the 250ohm DT990's and the DT880 I have here. It's stuck at the Richmond VA USPS hub for a week, so should be soon and could tell you how they work with those. Haven't tried thee DX3 Pro yet, but I do have a D30 I was trying this morning with the JDS Atom amp.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I'd suggest taking some time to read Amir's reviews of the various devices you listed above (along with other DACs/amps that might be viable for you). You can find the list here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

On the DAC it doesn't matter what headphones you are using; you should really be focusing on things like features, build quality, price, aesthetics, etc. There are many excellent DACs that have been reviewed here and are audibly transparent.

When researching devices that will work for you specifically -- after taking a look at SNR, distortion, etc. -- pay attention to these two aspects of the headphone amp:
  • output impedance. This can be especially important for IEMs. (Here's an article that you might find useful. You can see from Amir's testing that the Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy both have an output impedance of 1.3 Ω, which is very good.)
  • power. Are you going to be driving headphones that require tons of power (and listening at super loud levels)? If so you may run across some headphone amps that are excellent in every other way but don't have enough power for you.

When it comes to sound, just EQ at your source. These two posts are a great place to start:

Last edited:
OP
82Cloudz

82Cloudz

Hi,
I've had the DT1990 several times for business. The JDS Atom stack works really well, and the soundstage was little better than the Topping L30/E30 which is nice, but couldn't find any filters beside 2 or maybe 5 that were ok. The Magni Heresy and Khadas tone board were a great combo with them. I currently have the SMSL SP200 and still have the tone board on it, but if I got the DT1990 again I'd match it to the Magni Heresy. Any of those amps will drive them. They do have a hint of sibilance in bright tracks, and the Heresy is more forgiving than the Topping. I have a Magni 3+ Modi 3+ coming in a few days, and going to pair them with the 250ohm DT990's and the DT880 I have here. It's stuck at the Richmond VA USPS hub for a week, so should be soon and could tell you how they work with those. Haven't tried thee DX3 Pro yet, but I do have a D30 I was trying this morning with the JDS Atom amp.
Thanks, let me know how the your new set-up works. I have decided on the Schiit Heresy/modi 3+ stack and will be ordering it in the morning.

OP
82Cloudz

82Cloudz

Hi,
YEP just bought the DT 990 600 ohm off of you lol. I just noticed the name, I wanted something else besides the 1990 that had a similar signature. I originally bought the Topping L50/E50 for them and they were nice but I liked the sound of the Asgard 3 so I got that and the Mobius.

OP
82Cloudz

82Cloudz

I'm gonna pair the 990 600 ohm with the Heresy and the Modi 3+ and that will be my office set-up for now.

Luke Lemke

I was looking to purchase my first amp/dac to use with my Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I am torn between the JDS Atom stack, Schiit magni heresy/modi stack, and the new Topping DX3 pro+. I also will be using them with other heaphones/IEM's in the future and would appreciate some advice on what would be my best option.
They are all very good amps. Choose the cheapest one or your favorite "looks". I own the IEMagni/Modi stack. They look very good, have great specs and are powerful enough to drive 95% of the headphones out there.

The amps you choose will not change the frequency response of your DT 1990. If has a peak in the 8k region and it will still have that peak, no matter which amp you use.

Top Bottom