• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best amp and DAC for under $800?

Fly2High

All,
Been loving all the reviews. Real wealth of information. What troubles me a bit is that there is no summation chart to suggest what is the best amp or DAC. I would love a final overall score chart but I understand that is not so easy and not everyone weighs things the same.

I have a pair of Sundara headphones.

I am looking for an Amp and DAC for a budget of under $800 for both.

Would like to pass signal also to a pair of active speakers - Edifier 1850DB.
My thinking is to either have both XLR and SE RCA output from the DAC so that the XLR will go to the amp and the RCA to the Edifiers.
Either that or have a volume controlled pass through on the amp. DAC should have volume control if no volume control on pass through.
I could use the control on the speakers so that is not absolutely require but nice to have.

I would like to connect the DAC to my computer or iPhone.

I have not heard any of them but have looked at the following but not tied to them. Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Also willing to use components from different companies. I do not require a matching stack from a single company. Sound quality and accuracy paramount.

amps
SMSL SH-9
Topping DX7 Pro
Monoprice THX AAA 887
Schiit Asgard 3
Schiit Magnius 3

DAC
SMSL SU-9
Topping DX7 Pro

what do you suggest?

With much appreciation,
Frank

krott5333

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All,
Been loving all the reviews. Real wealth of information. What troubles me a bit is that there is no summation chart to suggest what is the best amp or DAC. I would love a final overall score chart but I understand that is not so easy and not everyone weighs things the same.

I have a pair of Sundara headphones.

I am looking for an Amp and DAC for a budget of under $800 for both.

Would like to pass signal also to a pair of active speakers - Edifier 1850DB.
My thinking is to either have both XLR and SE RCA output from the DAC so that the XLR will go to the amp and the RCA to the Edifiers.
Either that or have a volume controlled pass through on the amp. DAC should have volume control if no volume control on pass through.
I could use the control on the speakers so that is not absolutely require but nice to have.

I would like to connect the DAC to my computer or iPhone.

I have not heard any of them but have looked at the following but not tied to them. Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Also willing to use components from different companies. I do not require a matching stack from a single company. Sound quality and accuracy paramount.

amps
SMSL SH-9
Topping DX7 Pro
Monoprice THX AAA 887
Schiit Asgard 3
Schiit Magnius 3

DAC
SMSL SU-9
Topping DX7 Pro

what do you suggest?

With much appreciation,
Frank

Your selections are all good, and there are still more possibilities. We are spoiled for choice in audio electronics these days. Just click on the Excel bar chart image under the SINAD graphs in Amir's recent reviews (such as the two listed below) and you will get a full screen image of the ranking by SINAD, though the differences in SINAD in the top blue tier are pretty small and would be inaudible.

What about Topping D30Pro + A30Pro, launching tomorrow? For a total of $400+$350 = $750, they look hard to beat for top performance under $800 (and even above that price, there are few dacs and amps that can beat their performance), with plenty of power for headphones much more difficult to drive than the Sundaras, and with both XLR and RCA. The remote for the DAC may even let you control the volume remotely when using your Edifiers. Check out Amir's recent reviews of them (Amir's video reviews embedded at the end of each text review are very helpful as they explain the measurements for the non-expert public):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30pro-review-balanced-dac.20259/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-a30pro-review-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/
If you are located in the USA, Apos Audio should be able to get them to you speedily.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

The purifi is the amp module used. There are kits you can assemble your own, or buy one that's already put together from a company like VTV or March, among others. You'll be hard pressed to find a better amp for the money.

For a bit less money, look into a Hypex Ncore based amp.
I think the OP is looking for a headphone amp, and not for a speaker amp based on Purifi or Hypex. He already has active speakers.

Last edited:

krott5333

Your selections are all good. We are spoiled for choice in audio electronics these days. What about Topping D30Pro + A30Pro, launching tomorrow? For a total of $400+$350 = $750, they look hard to beat for top performance under $800 (and even above that price, there are few dacs and amps that can beat their performance), with plenty of power for headphones much more difficult to drive than the Sundaras, and with both XLR and RCA. The remote for the DAC may even let you control the volume remotely when using your Edifiers. Check out Amir's recent reviews of them:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30pro-review-balanced-dac.20259/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-a30pro-review-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/
Apos Audio should be able to get them to you speedily.

I think the OP is looking for a headphone amp, and not for a speaker amp based on Purifi or Hypex. He already has active speakers.
I didn't realize, sorry about that!

OP
F

Fly2High

yeah, I too saw the Topping A/D 30 pro options. I would love to order the SMSL and Topping stacks and return the lesser. Just do not want to incur a 20% penalty. Too cheap or too poor.

From what I see and within my budget, the SMSL and Topping are rather good choices. I could get the SU-9 being a more featured DAC and the A30Pro for the pass through and extra power too. It is only aesthetics to have both from the same company and line up and all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom