• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best affordable streamer/DAC that supports hi res formats from Tidal/Qobuz

ftv

Looking to buy a streamer for hi res audio from Tidal/Qobuz/etc with built-in DAC, or standalone units if necessary/better. If combo, it should have digital inputs for local sources as well.

I know from some of the threads here that the consensus is that all well-built DACs sound the same, but what are considered well-built DACs or streamer/DAC combos? I would interpret that to include a highly accurate clock that does not depend on the timing of the incoming signal (within reason), support of high res formats, quality components (power supply, capacitors, etc) that do not affect D/A conversion or the analog output stage, and ease of use (remote control?).

Thx,
Frank

mrbungle

The most affordable solution is using a Raspberry Pi and then a regular DAC of your choice. It usually takes a bit of tinkering in the beginning, but probably best bang for the buck. Allo Boss2 is a great RPi 4 based streamer/DAC combo. Due to the ongoing supply chain issues, you might need to improvise a bit. DietPi, the OS used by the Boss2, runs on many different single-board computers (Odroid is a good RPi alternative) that might or might not be easier to get. If you need an RPi 4, there is a constant supply, you just need to look around. The Allo Boss2 version that comes without the RPi 4 was easily available last time I checked.

The WiiM Mini is a pretty popular cheap streamer
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/. No need for tinkering and might provide all you need.

AFAIK, most combos are either mediocre (eg https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bluesound-node-review-streamer.25578/) or expensive (e.g. https://www.matrix-digi.com/). But others might be able to point you to something if you list your budget.

OP
F

ftv

The most affordable solution is using a Raspberry Pi and then a regular DAC of your choice. It usually takes a bit of tinkering in the beginning, but probably best bang for the buck. Allo Boss2 is a great RPi 4 based streamer/DAC combo. Due to the ongoing supply chain issues, you might need to improvise a bit. DietPi, the OS used by the Boss2, runs on many different single-board computers (Odroid is a good RPi alternative) that might or might not be easier to get. If you need an RPi 4, there is a constant supply, you just need to look around. The Allo Boss2 version that comes without the RPi 4 was easily available last time I checked.

The WiiM Mini is a pretty popular cheap streamer
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/. No need for tinkering and might provide all you need.

AFAIK, most combos are either mediocre (eg https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bluesound-node-review-streamer.25578/) or expensive (e.g. https://www.matrix-digi.com/). But others might be able to point you to something if you list your budget.
I've looked at
Bluesound Node (streamer only) to Schiit Bifrost/Gungnir or RME ADI-2
or
Hifi Rose RS250 streamer/DAC

So budget I'd say 2-3K for both but I won't complain spending less.

mrbungle

I had a similar budget and went with Roon Lifetime ($699), RPI 4 ($100 with WiFi dongle and Flirc case), Intel NUC ($399) and the RME. Very happy with it, but Roon seems to be a more controversial recommendation here, so you might want to check them out in trial. If that’s too much tinkering and you don’t need multiple rooms (adding a second room is simply adding another RPi + DAC), then I personally would go with Matrix.

Last edited:

CBM

Tidal Connect works very well with the Bluesound Node.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I used to own Auralic Altair. You can also pick ‘em up used for about 1k. They measure well and have a streamer / server integrated (even a 5 band EQ) which integrates nicely with Tidal/Quobuz. No need for Roon but it is Roon capable if this is your thing.

linuxfan

I've looked at
Bluesound Node (streamer only) to Schiit Bifrost/Gungnir or RME ADI-2
So budget I'd say 2-3K for both ...
Wow, it's interesting to see the word "affordable" in the forum title.

OP
F

ftv

Wow, it's interesting to see the word "affordable" in the forum title.
LOL - I hear you, definitely a relative term (don't show this to my wife). I've been struggling with what is actually needed after reading some of the threads and watching some of Amir's reviews, but that's perhaps a better topic for a new thread.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluesound Node with an excellent outboard DAC (mine is the Topping D30Pro; many excellent alternatives can be found) is my endgame. I'd think it would be an excellent choice for the OP at total cost of $900 or so.

dvcpro100

I am 100% Tidal, very satisfied. Installed Moode Player distribution on a memory card to RPi4 with very minimum configurations to have both usb input from SMSL SU8s and AirPlay. I use Tidal app for Moode AirPlay and MconnectLite app for Moode UPNP. Only cost here is hardware equipments and Tidal subscription.

Top Bottom