• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best affordable power amp? Is Monoprice Unity 450w a good candidate?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to buy three zones (so six channels, total) of clean power, at least 100 WPC into 8 ohms . The Monoprice Unity amp is 150 WPC into 8 ohms and is priced at $125 per channel. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31027

Does anybody know what modules it uses and/or legit specs?

Are there alternatives I should consider that can play all 6 channels simultaneously (for peaks, of course, not continuous) at 100+ WPC?

Last edited:
OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You saw it uses Phoenix connectors, right?

Do you want that kind of connector on an amp?
I didn’t think I had a problem with it but now I’m not sure! How should I think about it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t think I had a problem with it but now I’m not sure! How should I think about it?
Depends on your preferences mostly. I have gear with phoenix, rca, xlr etc but the phoenix is probably the least consumer friendly to find/buy but if you make your own cables.....

digicidal

Major Contributor
I guess it's debatable as far as "affordable" in comparison (it's more than the monoprice per channel, but not by too much) but maybe Outlaw has an option for you (with a spare channel for "backup"). ;) If you're looking for 3 separate 2ch setups... pro audio is probably cheapest for distributed, but usually have fans as they're meant for a closet/rack. I don't have the XLS1002 but I have a few of their bigger older brothers (XLS2000) and they are great bang for the buck - especially if you grabbed them on clearance like I did @ $225/ea. I like the looks of the updated designs better though.

What speakers are these going to drive? And will they only be background, whole-house audio kind of stuff? Standmounts? Ceiling?

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers are these going to drive? And will they only be background, whole-house audio kind of stuff? Standmounts? Ceiling?
Revel M105 wall-mounted on the shorter walls of rooms 17 x 25 feet.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Aren't the M105's rear ported? Assuming you're giving them a bit of room to breathe, they should have quite a bit of reinforcement at the rears and you're probably unlikely to drive them to extremes... even an 80W/ch should be plenty - but I think all those you found would work perfectly fine.

I tend to shop more for later "potentials" hence the mention of the Outlaw amp... in case you eventually decide to use them all as part of a theater, etc. However, even in that case, there's nothing wrong with the pro-audio gear. You are likely to hear a bit of hiss if you put your ear to them, but in rooms that size, you are unlikely to ever be that close. ;)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Technically they're not an issue and probably shouldn't be a deal breaker if you love the amp, but I find them to be a PITA.
I think they can be quite useful... but I agree that they can be problematic in some installations. For example, depending on the distances involved between the amp and the speakers... you might want to use more than 16ga wires... or you might have wire with a thicker insulation... both can potentially make a Phoenix connection a literal pain to deal with (though I use my fingers so maybe not a true "PITA"). :p Great for telephony or 70V distributed systems with dozens of speakers however.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Top Bottom