• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 8k AVR with at least 11.2/13.2 amplified channels?

The One Demon

Hey guys, just wondering if any of the 8k AVRs stand out from the rest? AFAIK, there is the Denon 6700H and 8500HA, and the Marantz SR8015... Are there any others?

If not, are there really any major differences between these AVRs? They are all Audyssey XT32, power handling they are the same except the 8500HA can output like 20w more @6ohm. (I'm running JBL HDI3800 and HDI4500 for the front stage. 4ohm up to 300w and 250w for centre)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out Amir's AVR index. Two that come to mind are the NAD T778 and the Anthem mrx1140. I have the Anthem myself and am very satisfied with it.

Depending on your budget Storm and Trinnov also make 11.2+ capable AVRs.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon and Marantz generally use the same platforms (they are owned by the same parent company), but Marantz uses their own output stages that measure considerably worse than Denon’s. That being said, the Marantz SR8015 acquitted itself respectably on the test bench.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes check out the review list. The Denon X3700 and higher measured really well especially when used in pre-amp mode only (ca 100dB Sinad afaik). Also not that expensive either. Sure other criteria might be what room correction system one prefers XT32 or others eg DIRAC etc. (there are several threads on this here).

OP
The One Demon

The One Demon

Thanks everyone, the Denon 8500HA seems like it may be the go.

@Beershaun Storm and Trinnov only make separates AFAIK, and I double checked just now and seems to still be the case. (Also I'm after an 8k capable one, the MRX1140, still doesn't have the upgrade available AFAIK and the NAD didn't have any plans I don't think.)

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone, the Denon 8500HA seems like it may be the go.

@Beershaun Storm and Trinnov only make separates AFAIK, and I double checked just now and seems to still be the case. (Also I'm after an 8k capable one, the MRX1140, still doesn't have the upgrade available AFAIK and the NAD didn't have any plans I don't think.)
You have made a good choice. That Denon gives you some future proofing because it allows you to disconnect unused internal amplifiers (by channel—not all or none) to improve the SINAD for any preouts you may be using for external amps. Plus the manuals are quite complete unlike Anthem and NAD which have a lot of undocumented adjustments and tips.

Top Bottom