• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best <400$ headphones for movies?

ozz

Hey guys,
Most likely I'll use a Topping dx3 pro with the headphones so that will have to be able to drive it. I have an old, neutral, closed, Fischer Audio FA003 headphones and I like it but I'd like something better, warm/dark or neutral, something that is capable of strong trembling bass but it's not bassy 24/7 like an old sony headphone, those I hate. I'm not an action movie fan, I love the high tension, dramatic songs (instrumental stuff, violin, cello, trumpet, drums) not the bang bang and explosions. I never tried an open back headphone but I'm not ruling it out, as long as it's as capable as a closed one, I don't mind the sound leakage. Any recommendations ? Thanks!

OP
ozz

ozz

Do you want a lot of bass?
I don't want a headphone where everything sounds bassy, I like sub-bass, pretty much up to 60hz I like but above that I'm not a fan. I'm ok with a bit warmer sound, I don't need 100% neutral but rather neutral than a sony bassy style. Right now I'm looking at HE-4XX and HD58X coz I never had a planar, never had a sennheiser and never had an open back headphone either.
EDIT: I see you write in my other thread too, if what you said about EQ is true, HE-4XX is out. Neutral, slightly warm headphones are needed, no V-shape or bright ones.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
You can try the Headzone Home 5.1 Surround Sound Headphone System from Beyerdynamic, which comprises the HBC 1 base station and DT 880 (250 ohms semi-open) headphone.

It is the ideal headphone system for the reproduction of 5.1 surround sound - I am enjoying it a lot.

Two versions were available: with head tracker, without head tracker.

OP
ozz

ozz

You can try the Headzone Home 5.1 Surround Sound Headphone System from Beyerdynamic, which comprises the HBC 1 base station and DT 880 (250 ohms semi-open) headphone.

It is the ideal headphone system for the reproduction of 5.1 surround sound - I am enjoying it a lot.

Two versions were available: with head tracker, without head tracker.
I can only find one thread from 2014 that says it's 900$ without the headphone, that's out of my price range.

Top Bottom