• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 15inch/38cm woofer units?

thin bLue

Reviewer
With

High BlieSMa T34B-4
T34B.png

Mid BlieSMa M74B-6
img

Low Purifi PTT8.0X04-NAB-01
PTT8.0X-front-perspective-trans-440x440-1-315x315.png

What kind of 15 inch units can be paired best?

Maybe Scan-speak 38WE/8582T00?

38we-new.png

38we-2.jpg

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it that you ask? Your title and your post does not correlate.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
What is it that you ask? Your title and your post does not correlate.
Sorry for confusing you.

I'm looking for a 15"/38cm woofer units that will provide the best bass response(Clean=Low THD, flat and extended) when matched with the units above.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for confusing you.

I'm looking for a 15"/38cm woofer units that will provide the best bass response(Clean=Low THD, flat and extended) when matched with the units above.
But one of the units you listed is a 15” driver?

AwesomeSauce2015

Is this your first time designing / building a speaker? If so, I would not recommend trying to do a 4-way design. Build a simpler 2-way or 3-way. It's just easier to get right and you can get very good performance out of it for much less effort.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Realistically, the LF response can have quite a few sins and still sound good. What's important is getting everything from about 150hz up right. Directivity, power handling, etc, all play into that.

What you'll probably want to do is build the speaker without that 15" woofer, then use separate subwoofers to get the deep bass [OR just build the woofers separately, and use an active crossover]. (Unless you are aiming for very high output, at which point you really shouldn't be using dome tweeters)
If you are aiming for the kind of output capacity where a 15" midbass woofer would be required, then you'll need horns to keep up... Although that tweeter seems to have good output capacity, I generally find that domes pushed hard don't sound good.
In that case, I would go for B&C Speakers' woofers as they seem to get universally good praise, and seem to have good performance on paper.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
When you say "matched" do you mean driven by a single amp with a 4-way passive crossover?
My word "match" mean handling lower frequencies and crossover band well + no need of quite high midrange ability.

Both passive crossover with separate amps(fully separated Bi-amping circuit), active crossover are concerned as available option.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
But one of the units you listed is a 15” driver?
I said "Maybe Scan-speak 38WE/8582T00?"

and "Any suggestions?"

I'm sorry if I wrote something that was too difficult to understand.

morpheusX

Assuming you're on USA, maybe AE TD15X/H versions?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Sorry for the drift and not meant as a criticism, just a genuine curiosity about your design. Given how the 74 mm midrange dome can play up to ~4K with good directivity, wondering why you chose the (relatively large) 34 mm dome tweeter?

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Is this your first time designing / building a speaker? If so, I would not recommend trying to do a 4-way design. Build a simpler 2-way or 3-way. It's just easier to get right and you can get very good performance out of it for much less effort.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Realistically, the LF response can have quite a few sins and still sound good. What's important is getting everything from about 150hz up right. Directivity, power handling, etc, all play into that.

What you'll probably want to do is build the speaker without that 15" woofer, then use separate subwoofers to get the deep bass [OR just build the woofers separately, and use an active crossover]. (Unless you are aiming for very high output, at which point you really shouldn't be using dome tweeters)
If you are aiming for the kind of output capacity where a 15" midbass woofer would be required, then you'll need horns to keep up... Although that tweeter seems to have good output capacity, I generally find that domes pushed hard don't sound good.
In that case, I would go for B&C Speakers' woofers as they seem to get universally good praise, and seem to have good performance on paper.
Thanks for great advices for DIY

Of course, I'll use multiple subwoofers to cure in room responses.(Esp. below Schroeder Frequency.)

But big towers with big units make sexy-look aren't they? Acoustical gain maybe marginal, but psychologicaly.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Assuming you're on USA, maybe AE TD15X/H versions?
Wow, I'll look in to that! thank you!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Sorry for the drift and not meant as a criticism, just a genuine curiosity about your design. Given how the 74 mm midrange dome can play up to ~4K with good directivity, wondering why you chose the (relatively large) 34 mm dome tweeter?
T25 series also great option, but I can't listen Ultrasounds! xD
Of course, considering break-up in ultrasonic band what can be influence on audible frequency area, T25 would be definitely better option.

IMHO, T34B is still great HF driver with better looking(personal) and sensitivity.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I said "Maybe Scan-speak 38WE/8582T00?"

and "Any suggestions?"

I'm sorry if I wrote something that was too difficult to understand.
If your design is passive, sensitivity is the starting decision. As far as I can see the drivers you list do not match.

Top Bottom