• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BEST 10inch subwoofer for sealed enclosure?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is really close, arguably the Purify 6.5" midrange is a bit better. Distortion wise the dome is a bit better though, but only > 1kHz. When crossing to a tweeter, that should not be an issue at all.
>3khz - T25b
1-3khz - M74b
400-1khz - Purifi 6.5" midrange
<400 - Purifi 8" midwoofer

4 way, much harder, super expensive but very interesting indeed. Cross to subs and endgame achieved.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Eh, not really, yes building really good speakers requires comprehensive knowledge of various subjects, but it's not rocket science, you don't need do emply hundreds of PhD level engineers like nasa to build speakers on high level.

There are some DIY builders who do stuff on genelec level and even surpass them in certain things. Take March Audio, isn't that a venture of one man? His speaker scores 7.0 on Olive preference score function...
Building things DIY is great fun but its a big waste of time and money . I can recommend it if its for fun and learning .
I have done this during a couple of years.

But at the end of the day, when your loudspeaker is finished and you want to move on to other projects and maybe try to sell your beloved DIY speaker - you will loose money because the second hand value are nonexistant no matter how good they sound .

Its important to have a reference loudspeaker to listen to when you develop your DIY loudspeaker . I borrowed a Genelec 8330 , did extensive measurements and listening tests during a weekend only to find it was impossible to better the sound with my own DIY HYBRID dsp loudspeaker . Ofcourse my HYBRID did sound better than jbl 305 ( my other reference ) but thats a very cheap loudspeaker.

March audio is no DIYer , its a professional small company. I guess the owner have been building loudspeakers since he was a kid .:)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
>3khz - T25b
1-3khz - M74b

4 way, much harder, super expensive but very interesting indeed. Cross to subs and endgame achieved.
Yes - a fourway or even fiveway is a good solution. But you must have the space and listening distance for it .
In a small room with 2 meters listening distance maybe an active threeway is good enough .

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
>3khz - T25b
1-3khz - M74b

There is absolutely no reason to use the Purifis if you’re not going to use them for their extended frequency range.

Actually i might delete the 6.5 and the midrange and use the 4’inch Purifi with a high excursion 8-inch.

Tangband

Major Contributor
>3khz - T25b
1-3khz - M74b

I would say , - if you have a 4-way dsp crossover ,( you can use two minidsp for the 8 channels needed in stereo ) you are almost guaranteed to have a good sound result if you use ordinary Linkwitz riley 24dB/oct crossover slopes everywhere and before that , - equalizing every driver to be flat within two octaves from each crossover point.

In the lower registers, below about 200 Hz one can argue if a third ( 18 dB/oct ) or fifth ( 30 dB/oct ) order crossover might sound and measure better ( the power response in the room will be slightly better ) but the fact is all this is so easy to try with a dsp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom