• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beresford TC-7520 Review (DAC)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I own a Beresford 7510 and still wonder how it measures so I can decide whether to use my sound card's analog outs or the Beresford DAC, or simply upgrade.
Chip complement -
SPDIF receiver, CS8414CS
DAC, PCM1716E, DR 106 dB(A), THD+N -96 dB, passband ripple well within +/-0.001 dB for the most part.
Opamp, some 4558.

I imagine distortion was only so-so with the lowly 4558 so the TC-7520 got upgraded to an NE5532P. Nothing much to write home about these days (where "preamp replacement" class DACs are readily available and fairly inexpensive), good enough as a line-level source for plain CD playback though.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chip complement -
SPDIF receiver, CS8414CS
DAC, PCM1716E, DR 106 dB(A), THD+N -96 dB, passband ripple well within +/-0.001 dB for the most part.
Opamp, some 4558.

I imagine distortion was only so-so with the lowly 4558 so the TC-7520 got upgraded to an NE5532P. Nothing much to write home about these days (where "preamp replacement" class DACs are readily available and fairly inexpensive), good enough as a line-level source for plain CD playback though.
Would like to add. The TC-7520 is a really quiet DAC, no power thump when it turns off and on. Also no click pop when the bit rate changes. When I got my Boss2 I was ready to sell it after 2 days because of noise. Thankfully that is mostly fixed.

Top Bottom