• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beresford Caiman SEG Review (Stereo DAC)

JSmith

Master Contributor
it should not be sold anymore imo
Agree... however it's the only DAC they sell and is noted as being "the latest" :D

1633519972568.png

… maybe time to upgrade this product line, instead of continuing to sell this DAC.

JSmith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It manages 16 bits (just) what more do you want?

I've had a listen to an older model, I think the original version, it was fine even though it probably measures worse than this one.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
It manages 16 bits (just) what more do you want?

I've had a listen to an older model, I think the original version, it was fine even though it probably measures worse than this one.
What is the point of the thing?

Internal DACs are just as good and external DACs are better. Might as well get an Amazon Echo Dot with an aux cable, use a phone or computer aux cable, or buy a better performing DAC for half the price.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the point of the thing?

Internal DACs are just as good and external DACs are better. Might as well get an Amazon Echo Dot with an aux cable, use a phone or computer aux cable, or buy a better performing DAC for half the price.
Absolutely right. Just pointing out that in practical, real-world terms it's going to be just fine. I mean if someone came on here and said they have this DAC and would changing to a better-measuring DAC give an uplift in sound quality the answer's going to be 'Almost certainly not.'

filo97s

What about the headphone output Amir? Can you measure it?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could tell from the typefaces alone that this was British and that it sucked. 2 for 2.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The type is the least objectionable aspect!
Keith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I sent this Amir I suspected it would be rubbish. That said, and in its defense it should have been tested at 15v as that is the current requirement. The Dorado should have also been fully charged before use and it takes a few minutes. Maybe Amir can give a second chance.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fun fact: LED's are sometimes used in current sources exactly because they are so low noise. Some colours seem to be better than others though.
IIRC, red is actually a low noise source, unlike blue. Funny, cos the LEDs here are red, right? :D

fgfgfg

It's WM8804G + WM8523G

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Oh the shame... This make was all over the enthusiast UK forums I used to frequent a few years back and very popular I remember. As with all such gear, never a whisper of measurements but lots of talk about 'the sound quality.' Stan always seemed a pleasant and communicative chap though.

Got to ask, is this performance deemed 'adequate' for say, a ten year old model?

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh the shame... This make was all over the enthusiast UK forums I used to frequent a few years back and very popular I remember. As with all such gear, never a whisper of measurements but lots of talk about 'the sound quality.' Stan always seemed a pleasant and communicative chap though.

Got to ask, is this performance deemed 'adequate' for say, a ten year old model?
I'd say it's a bit mediocre for the standard of ten years ago, but maybe not to the point of calling it absolute garbage.

As far as I know, the race toward SOTA dacs only started in recent years, so a large part of models in the "best" category are either 1) newer and from reputable companies 2) older, rarer and highly considered in the community or 3) just hella expensive.

P_M

this product has a lot of potential for improving performance with the switch off.

Top Bottom