• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beogram 4002

mcdonalk

Around 1975, my wife and I, growing tired of stationary pivot tonearms destroying the inner grooves of our imported LP's, bought a Beogram 4002 turntable. The main feature of this turntable was its tangential tonearm, superior to the alternatives at that time from Garrard or Rabco. Our use of this turntable diminished in the mid 80's as we transitioned to digital sources. The last time I played an LP was probably 15 years ago, and then, only to digitize some that were not available digitally. The Beogram 4002 creaked to a start the last time that I used it.
Last Saturday, Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith (www.sound-smith.com), a small manufacturer of high end phono cartridges, videoconferenced with our local audio club. There I learned that Soundsmith, among other services provided, was an authorized service center for B&O and in fact manufactures cartridges for B&O, and they incorporate the "moving iron" architecture pioneered by B&O in the 60's in their own product line. As a result, I am beginning the process of having them restore our Beogram 4002, and I did some research and came across the video below.
My reaction to this video:
  1. The introduction with the salt is fascinating to watch and supports my thinking that
  2. It is a miracle that analog, vinyl, and styli work half as well as they do
In reality, it is obviously engineering and not a miracle, but it does seem to me that a lots of plates have to be kept spinning for electromechanical analog to work.

On the other hand, he is very enthusiastic about B&O cartridge technology, which makes me feel very fortunate to have the turntable that I have (if I must have a turntable), and Soundsmith resources to restore it.

The bottom line for me, though, is that this video supports my belief that digital will prevail. Mechanical styli & grooves are analogous to the internal combustion engine, and digital audio is analogous to electric cars.

Top Bottom