• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benefit to SHM-CDs?

Soria Moria

Hi. I'm looking at CDs for Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, and there are two versions available at the store. One is just a regular CD that is on sale for roughly $7 when converted. The other one is an imported SHM-CD version for $30. This is what the retailer says about SHM-CDs:
About SHM-CD:
SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) is a superior quality CD fully compatible with all CD players. SHM-CD utilizes a polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD screens, and the enhanced transparency of the SHM-CD results in more clarity, depth and definition of sound, bringing the listener ever closer to the music of the original master.
Is this just snake oil? CDs are 1s and 0s and I assume a SHM-CD is no different in that regard and therefore should sound identical, am I correct? This is my first time hearing about SHM-CDs so I'm uneducated on it.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
When I think of "Super High Materials", I generally think of a bag of mary-jane, some rolling papers, and a lighter.
But seriously, the data on the CD is what is important. And if the data is the same, the SHM format is no different.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some SHM-CDs are remastered some aren't. The one you are asking about is sometimes part of a Special Edition with an extra track and also includes a DVD with surround versions. If it's just the regular SHM-CD's only, I would think it is the same 1s and 0s.

Reactions: MAB

Anonamemouse

Your journey to older cds should always start here: www.dr.loudness-war.info/
Then visit: www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ and find out if anyone ever wrote about the particular cd you are looking for, which in this case should be no problem
Once you made your mind up go here: www.discogs.com/ but don't start clicking around too much, it will cost you a fortune...

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Some SHM-CDs are remastered some aren't. The one you are asking about is sometimes part of a Special Edition with an extra track and also includes a DVD with surround versions. If it's just the regular SHM-CD's only, I would think it is the same 1s and 0s.
Yah. I have to admit, I sometimes buy high-dollar boutique or import editions just for that special remastering, or extra track(s), or artwork and package.:p Sometimes my vanity is rewarded and other times not so much.:)

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Read a few articles where an SHM CD was compared to unknown mastering on a regular CD an they said the SHM had more _insert-positive-audiophile-terms_. However, unless those two discs were digital clones and all other things controlled, it's a no brainer to call BS on those kinds of tests.

There are those who claim to be able to hear a difference between CDs pressed at different plants or one CD-R over another. These aren't just Joe-nobody on the internet but respected music engineers. I have personally never heard the difference and am happy not to. Engineers have stated it's simply not possible for there to be a difference - the error correction built into all CD players handles those problems. No one, to my knowledge, has taken two or more digital clones and thoroughly tested for any differences coming out of the analogue connections on a CD player playing these discs, and then published the results. I guess those technically minded enough to test, in their mind see no need to, and those that hear a difference don't want to have a potential sanity check, dismiss it and then defend themselves. Theoretically, unless the CD is severely damaged and the data is irretrievable, anything else is snake oil and belongs with the green felt pen around the outside edge of the disc nonsense.

In truth, if one looks at the community preferred digital mastering of a particular album, a lot of the time the 0s and 1s that were put on the SHM disc weren't worth the bother of burning a CD-R, let alone pressing a so called premium disc.

At the end of the day, collect a special one for the sake of completeness if you like, but for me the important thing is the data on there.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Is this just snake oil?

Yep.

CDs are 1s and 0s and I assume a SHM-CD is no different in that regard and therefore should sound identical, am I correct?

Correct. A "superior" CD would only make sense if it had higher resistance to scratches and/disk rot. That "clarity" -thing is complete fantasy.

Top Bottom