• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark HPA4 and a RME ADI 2 DAC

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What line out volume should I use for external headphone amplifiers? I just recieved my Benchmark HPA4 and want to use the RME as a standalone dac.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
+24dBu, so maximum level. The HPA4 is designed for the +28dBu output of the Benchmark DACs, so it will work best with the highest voltage you can pump into it. Should show the ideal performance of both systems.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What line out volume should I use for external headphone amplifiers? I just recieved my Benchmark HPA4 and want to use the RME as a standalone dac.

Why not just use the headphone amp built into the RME?

It's a damn good headphone amp as is.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
+24dBu, so maximum level. The HPA4 is designed for the +28dBu output of the Benchmark DACs, so it will work best with the highest voltage you can pump into it. Should show the ideal performance of both systems.

SO it's not powerful enough?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
SO it's not powerful enough?

Absolutely not. +28dBu is the maximum input voltage, not what is required or necessary. The ADI-2 is extremely competitive at 24dBu with the DAC3 at +28dBu. You should always use the maximum voltage that your DAC and amp both support. The HPA4's ability to accept input voltages up to 28dBu is actually quite a nice feature, the semi-equivalent THX AAA 789 clips above +19dBu.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I feel like I will see an improvement. Everybody always questions it though.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I feel like I will see an improvement. Everybody always questions it though.

Because you're just as likely to have a sonic degradation as an improvement.

If you don't need the extra power, and you probably don't, you're just adding more circuitry and noise.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor

If you don't need the extra power, and you probably don't, you're just adding more circuitry and noise.

To be fair, the THX AAA amps are a substantial step up over any other designs. Replacing the amp in the ADI-2 with the HPA4 does lower distortion and noise. The HPA4 also has an insanely accurate resistor ladder line amp that will likely work a lot better than the digital/relay combination in the ADI-2, without the dynamic range compression.

There is certainly an argument for it being not audiable or necessary, but it won't degrade performance.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor

Would a stand alone dac be different or you just think the upgrade is unnecessary?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Would a stand alone dac be different or you just think the upgrade is unnecessary?

The amp in the ADI-2 is good enough to be totally transparent, you honestly won't be able to hear the difference with the HPA4. It certainly isn't worth another three grand.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
To be fair, the THX AAA amps are a substantial step up over any other designs. Replacing the amp in the ADI-2 with the HPA4 does lower distortion and noise. The HPA4 also has an insanely accurate resistor ladder line amp that will likely work a lot better than the digital/relay combination in the ADI-2, without the dynamic range compression.

There is certainly an argument for it being not audiable or necessary, but it won't degrade performance.

Have you measured the SINAD of the RME standalone vs the RME + HPA4?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Have you measured the SINAD of the RME standalone vs the RME + HPA4?

Read Amir's review of the THX AAA 789, which uses a scaled down version of the AAA 888 used in the HPA4. In short, it exceeds the SINAD performance of any DAC on the market. The internal headphone amp on the ADI-2 is good, but it isn't THX AAA good. Of course the difference is only academic, however.

I own an ADI-2 Pro Fs and will measure this exact thing for you, though with a THX 789 instead, when mine arrives next week :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Read Amir's review of the THX AAA 789, which uses a scaled down version of the AAA 888 used in the HPA4. In short, it exceeds the SINAD performance of any DAC on the market. The internal headphone amp on the ADI-2 is good, but it isn't THX AAA good. Of course the difference is only academic, however.

I've read those reviews, but the pieces in isolation are not the same as the pieces in combination.

But, yes, entirely academic and waste of cash no matter what.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Unless you've got an HE6 or really need an analog input on your headamp...
I've actually got a HE-6 on the way, I'll see how it goes.

And yeah if I had the money I'd love a HPA4 too, there is something alluring about excessively perfect performance.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
The only way you couldn't tell the difference between the HPA4 and the rme amp section is if you were deaf.

Top Bottom