• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark DAC3 vs RME ADI-2 DAC - Sound

derp1n

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Don't think so?

I think most people (including me) just agree with:
Given that both products measure superbly, I would expect that both would sound like exactly whatever signal you put through them (i.e. transparent).

Any findings from comparison would with high probability be a product of psychoacoustics.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I can’t hear any differences between them, but I don’t expect to, both really first class products.
Keith

Chippyboy

I hope people don't mind me joining someone else's thread (is this poor etiquette - I am not sure - I apologise if so).

Anyway, what is the consensus on my old Benchmark DAC1-HDR vs the RME ADI-2? Since even my old Benchmark is a decent, well-sorted DAC, do people think there will also be minimal sound quality differences? Or would the RME be a decent upgrade, sound-wise, do you think?

Thanks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t have thought there would be an audible difference, the RME has some useful features though.
Keith

Chippyboy

Thanks. I guess we are getting into the realms of diminishing returns aren't we. My Benchmark has served me well, but I fancy a change - being able to actually see what the word length and sampling frequency I am listening to would be nice, as would DSD.

Some years back I "upgraded" to a Benchmark DAC2, but ended up selling it because (a) I didn't feel it was as well "polished" as the DAC1 - there were horrible clicks and pops on signal input changes, and (b) it didn't sound sufficiently better. I could tell the difference, but it just wasn't worth it.

If I felt the DAC3 would be £2k well spent, I'd buy one, but I have a sneaking feeling that too may not be worth it. Maybe the ADI at less than half that price, makes the investment a bit more sensible.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you are in the U.K. I will send you the RME to try, direct A/B against the current incumbent is always best.
Keith

sonci

Maybe the ADI at less than half that price, makes the investment a bit more sensible.
I don't get how they manage to stay in business with these prices? Benchmark even though manufacture of professional audio gear, is nowhere as big as Rme or Lynx or others.

Top Bottom