• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 vs Quad artera vs hypex class d

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Alan Shaw was perfectly clear and fair: if your amplifier malfunctions and damages your speaker, there is no warranty (he did not say that there will be no warranty if it is not the cheap amplifier that damaged your speaker). It is also perfectly reasonable to think that a very cheap amplifier may do so more often than a rock solid design with a long pedigree.

I understand this. My question is if the amplifier is used properly no misuses no kid kicking the woofer like someone replied. Just malfunction of the amplifier during warranty, I don’t have the opinion that a cheap amplifier could have a malfunction quicker than an expensive one during warranty period
especially not a pa brand, those amps get used in different circumstance then a home amplifier.
If this is the fault of the amplifier and it cause damage to the speaker UFCOURSE you can’t expect that if your house burns down. That your builder will build a new house.
But I can guarantee you that the expert from the assurance company will claim his money from the amplifier company!
For sure during warranty period.
So why could we not see it smaller and ask behringer if something like that occurs to pay for the damage.
So again using this example, if I buy an amplifier my assurance will not warn me and say if your house burns down cause you have a cheap amplifier we don’t pay your damage!

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Anyway that is how I see it.
we customers all kind of product at the end of the day we are the customers who pays for the products and sometimes
lots of money.
If a manufacturer thinks that a certain product got a high chance to cause damage then he should write this down in the manual. Use this product only with amplifiers more expensive then x amount!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway that is how I see it.
we customers all kind of product at the end of the day we are the customers who pays for the products and sometimes
lots of money.
If a manufacturer thinks that a certain product got a high chance to cause damage then he should write this down in the manual. Use this product only with amplifiers more expensive then x amount!

It is up to the consumer to buy an amp whose feature include quality parts and good protection mechanisms.
Amplifier manufacturers warranty their amps and not your speakers.

I have not seen any such warranty covering speakers.
Bolder warranty is 5 years for parts and labor on the this $195,000 amplifier:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1011/boulder_3050_monoblocks.htm

Bryston has one of the best warranty policies out there on amps 20 years transferable:
https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

If you want a warranty on your speakers try to find a third-party warranty.

- Rich

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Capxcon caps are known because they used to explode, google around. Hope they got better...

carlob

Forum Donor
Also I don't see relays for DC protection on the amp board, now being class D maybe that the speaker protection is implemented in the IC I don't know but I'd check with Behringer.
If the mosfet fail and there is no DC protection you will fry your speakers, that's for sure.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

To everyone.
maybe something got lost cause I don’t speak English.
i bought this amplifier because of this
This is how @amirm finished the review!
Conclusions
The Behringer A800 does what pro amps try to do: provide solid, middle-of-the-road distortion and noise with tons of power in quiet and light package for little money. The design is stable and better than the A500. As such, I can recommend the A800 as an everyday amplifier.
If you are right, what I don’t doubt. Even mr Shaw says it.
then this amplifier should not be recommended!

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

It is up to the consumer to buy an amp whose feature include quality parts and good protection mechanisms.
Amplifier manufacturers warranty their amps and not your speakers.

I have not seen any such warranty covering speakers.
Bolder warranty is 5 years for parts and labor on the this $195,000 amplifier:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1011/boulder_3050_monoblocks.htm

Bryston has one of the best warranty policies out there on amps 20 years transferable:
https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

If you want a warranty on your speakers try to find a third-party warranty.

- Rich

Bryston I ve been looking a long time to buy a amplifier of them cause they offer 20 years.
The reason I doubt buying benchmark is there warranty policy 5 years USA and Canada and only 2 years Europe?
Why?
i m 52 years old don’t play music loud.
live in an appartement now the neighbours would not have it.
also my music choice don’t let me play music loud. Don’t like it anyway.
and I will not look for a warranty on my Harbeths.
but I can imagine when you have 100k pair of speakers you look Third party warranty.
the behringer I bought to see how inaudible different amplifiers are.
But I would never say upfront that this amplifier can’t be used, then it should be written down in the manual

carlob

Forum Donor
But I would never say upfront that this amplifier can’t be used, then it should be written down in the manual

Nobody is saying that it can't be used. What they are saying is that is a 179 Euro amp, parts are probably not so good compared to other amps - for sure the capacitors, and so IF it fails AND there is no speaker protection THEN it will fry your speakers.
Capxcon are crappy capacitors compared to say Elna or Nichicon and so on. You get the quality you paid for, there is no free lunch.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bryston I ve been looking a long time to buy a amplifier of them cause they offer 20 years.
The reason I doubt buying benchmark is there warranty policy 5 years USA and Canada and only 2 years Europe?
Why?
i m 52 years old don’t play music loud.
live in an appartement now the neighbours would not have it.
also my music choice don’t let me play music loud. Don’t like it anyway.
and I will not look for a warranty on my Harbeths.
but I can imagine when you have 100k pair of speakers you look Third party warranty.
the behringer I bought to see how inaudible different amplifiers are.

I have owned many an amp here is my history:

Sunfire: Cinema grand signature - no issues. Cinema 200 WPC still going after 20 years.
Outlaw: 7200 bought used require service for excessive buzzing.
ATI AT3000: No issues.
ATI: AT522NC, AT6002s, AT6003 trigger issue required firmware and board replacements.
Parasound: One A21 blew a fuse for no apparent reason, easily fixed. The other A21, A31, and A51 had no issues.
Benchmark: No issues on 5 amps after 1+ year.

These drive 4 x Revel Salon2s and 1 Voice2.
I never felt better protected.

As an aside, when I have had multiple amps they turn on more or less at the same time., The Benchmark LA4 and AHB2s all power on and off simultaneously. I attribute this to microprocessor control that replaces traditional circuitry.

- Rich

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I am astonished that the idea that the price of a Hifi item is more than vaguely related to the cost of its components is still held by anyone.
Go check out the TotalDAC review.
I won’t wade into the specifics of these products. But please, don’t perpetuate the myth that more expensive is better.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Nobody is saying that it can't be used. What they are saying is that is a 179 Euro amp, parts are probably not so good compared to other amps - for sure the capacitors, and so IF it fails AND there is no speaker protection THEN it will fry your speakers.
Capxcon are crappy capacitors compared to say Elna or Nichicon and so on. You get the quality you paid for, there is no free lunch.
This is conclusion of the review

Conclusions
The Behringer A800 does what pro amps try to do: provide solid, middle-of-the-road distortion and noise with tons of power in quiet and light package for little money. The design is stable and better than the A500. As such, I can recommend the A800 as an everyday amplifier.

crappy capacitors are not a stable design!

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Sunfire: Cinema grand signature - no issues. Cinema 200 WPC still going after 20 years.
ATI: AT522NC, AT6002s, AT6003 trigger issue required firmware and board replacements.
Parasound: One A21 blew a fuse for no apparent reason, easily fixed. The other A21, A31, and A51 had no issues.

As an aside, when I have had multiple amps they turn on more or less at the same time., The Benchmark LA4 and AHB2s all power on and off simultaneously. I attribute this to microprocessor control that replaces traditional circuitry.

- Rich

ok,that is something to think about
my history
started
denon
marantz
cambridge audio
lyngdorf
primaluna pre and power
accuphase
(behringer) not to use everyday

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

I am astonished that the idea that the price of a Hifi item is more than vaguely related to the cost of its components is still held by anyone.
Go check out the TotalDAC review.
I won’t wade into the specifics of these products. But please, don’t perpetuate the myth that more expensive is better.

thx that is the point I tried to make.
that is in my humble opinion the mistake Mr Shaw made.

carlob

Forum Donor
FUD wins...

it's all over the internet

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28449

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 16.12.12.png

A Surfer

Major Contributor
crappy capacitors are not a stable design!
Perhaps, but at this point you and others are making assumptions. Get the exact model of the capacitors used and look for information about their reliability. Seriously, really over-reacting to one person telling you something is bad. It might be, but you need to do more homework.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

- Rich
@RichB
would 1 benchmark be enough to drive Harbeth 30.2
2. 5 meters seating distance.
singer songwriter music
normal volume
for example the behringer lights never come on.
but the Accuphase e650 meters wherealways touching the red zone

Top Bottom