• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again this is a worst case scenario he measured. Now we need to see how in between amps measure too.

View attachment 146229
And if we consider the reverse, that is, the Pass minus Hypex difference, or generalizing, a high output impedance class A or tube amplifier compared to a modern low output impedance class AB or class D amplifier, that curve would look a lot like a boosted mid with reduced bass and treble. Exactly the "warmth" that some owners are looking to add in their systems. A form of "mix and match" components that serves as equalizing the system to a desired target curve.

tw99

The Pass Labs has a damping factor of 1.6. That doesn't qualify as well designed. This is what's Archimago article demonstrates. It also demonstrates the importance of using an amp 'within it's constraints'.

Conclusion 5: "While I can show and hear a difference between the Pass SIT-2 and my Hypex nCore quite easily, realize that within reasonable objective operating parameters, amps will sound alike! Likely, you'll find such "clean" amps will be indistinguishable in a volume-controlled blind test with actual music regardless of whether they're Class A or AB or D. Tube or solid-state. Lower or higher feedback".

So to me Archimago confirmed the general rule. Where do you see him demonstrating the opposite?

I agree, that's exactly what I meant. He is confirming the general rule by showing that badly designed amplifiers don't sound like good ones.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Do you think the Pass is badly designed, or built to have exactly the effect on FR that the designer and many potential owners are looking for?

Listeners are mixing and matching to achieve the sound they want to pay for, there's no right and wrong, the eventual owner is the arbiter of what's right for them. That's not to say that a causal understanding might not help them achieve this more easily, just that not everyone wants the flattest FR and lowest overall distortion.

Not everyone wants what we want.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Absolutely.

Do speaker designers, design for a flat in room response, no, why, because a top down response is more preferred. Same here Nelson designs what he thinks people want.

Gueco

I just want to say I compared the purifi with the benchmark at my home and reached the same conclusion as the original poster: the purifi is compressed and has a hard time driving my kef r3. The benchmark is a better amplifier, better dynamics and better presentation. The ahb2 is lot more musical (the forbidden word)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the cultists are following me here
Don’t take offence, both of these amps measure as extremely transparent, and are proven to drive awkward loads with ease. Are you really saying that you expected a claim of them being audibly different to be accepted at face value?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call us the scientists:)
Perhaps @Gueco is right. It would be just like me to join the one cult where hedonism is defined as a ratio of cost and SINAD.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
like you do before you have an opinion? LOL
On extraordinary claims? Absolutely. No controls, the claim is equivalent to the claims of alien abductions with anal probing.

Gueco

I also love measurements, I only buy equipment that measures well. I love this forum I am just not deaf.

Gueco

Neither are we. But we understand why controls are a sine qua non.
Sure, no problem with that. The problem is measurements dont get the whole picture. Things like soundstage and microdynamics and not really captured. Even Amir does a sound test. Ask him why

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have a Tufty club badge, I didn’t notice any difference when I had Hypex/Purifi and the AHB2 here apart from the price of course.
Keith

Top Bottom