• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Black

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Benchmark AHB2 black version, in excellent condition, originally supplied by us, asking £2100 ono.

Keith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Benchmark AHB2 black version, in excellent condition, originally supplied by us, asking £2100 ono.

What happens with EU VAT taxes on pre-owned stuff you sell Keith, when you ship to the EU after July 1?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I can deduct vat 20% at my end but tax will be levied, depending upon declared value at your end.
Keith

litemotiv

Tax is levied on 2nd hand goods?
Not in my country (Netherlands), well not really at least.

On 2nd hand goods, commercial sellers only need to apply VAT to their profit margin, so not the full selling price. If the merchant buys an item for 2000,- and sells it for 2100,-, then the VAT is calculated over 100,- which would be 20,- in UK VAT. This makes sense since it's a "value added tax", and the added value in the transaction is 100,-.

tomchris

When importing stuff outside EU to Denmark 25% VAT is calculated and levied upon declared value + postage fees, regardless of whether the item is new, 2nd hand, commercial merchant or private seller. Then there is import duty which varies depeding on the item. Plus an unavoidable import fee of €22/$26 is added on top.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in my country (Netherlands), well not really at least.

On 2nd hand goods, commercial sellers only need to apply VAT to their profit margin, so not the full selling price. If the merchant buys an item for 2000,- and sells it for 2100,-, then the VAT is calculated over 100,- which would be 20,- in UK VAT. This makes sense since it's a "value added tax", and the added value in the transaction is 100,-.

what if the merchant bought the item at MSRP and they're not really making any profit?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When importing stuff outside EU to Denmark 25% VAT is calculated and levied upon declared value + postage fees, regardless of whether the item is new, 2nd hand, commercial merchant or private seller. Then there is import duty which varies depeding on the item. Plus an unavoidable import fee of €22/$26 is added on top.

So, if someone sends you a gift, you still have to pay all that?

tomchris

So, if someone sends you a gift, you still have to pay all that?
Gifts over $185 are subject to VAT, customs duties and handling fees. Gifts under $54 are not subject to taxes.

Let's say I bought an amplifer on eBay US for $1000 + $100 in shipping. Customs duties, VAT and handling fees would add up to $350.
So, I'd have to pay a total of $1450 for the amp.

jae

Major Contributor
AHB2_Front_Open_Top_On.jpg.63d9561edc8163d352f874eb51bad85a.jpg

Looks like we could break it down into about 5 smaller packets valued at £15 each :rolleyes:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I'm confused what the price shipped to EU would be, if I have to play VAT on top of the price, plus maybe customs, it's not very attractive.

Top Bottom