• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 amplifier measurement by JonMarsh

Cortes

A question to the amp experts here.

I read a review by John Darko on the Kef LS50 saying: "Experience tells us that we’d need to spend close to US$10K on matching amplifier and DAC to get this kind of audible performance from a pair passive LS50 ".

I don't really understand the statement. Is this true?. I mean, what can bring an amp to a passive speaker that can overcome the limitations of passive crossover?. A super amplifier can make a passive speaker sound as good as an active speaker?.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't really understand the statement. Is this true?.
No. :)

Watch Darko for entertainment value, and functionality of devices, not anything technical.

I mean, what can bring an amp to a passive speaker that can overcome the limitations of passive crossover?
You would need a more powerful amplifier to make sure it doesn't clip and get harsh. Active speakers with dual amplifiers avoid this.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Active speakers with dual amplifiers avoid this.

Only if the included amplifiers have sufficient power... May be true for higher-end systems, probably not for lower-end. Of course, the drivers in those lower-end systems probably won't tolerate a lot of extra power anyway.

And Amir (and many others) know this, but as an aside, using two amplifiers to bi-amplify a speaker does not mean you get twice the power. That is, if you go from one 100 W amp driving the speaker full-range, to using 100 W on the bass and 100 W on the treble, it is not the same as using a 200 W amplifier. You may gain a little (almost none in the AVR's "passive" bi-amping case), but unless you increase the size (power rating) of the amps you may get very little increased volume or headroom (and mostly in the tweeter amp). Depends on the crossover frequency and the drivers (among other things).

Feyire

Top Bottom