• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB-2 vs. Parasound JC-1??

xirtam2005

Has anyone compared the Benchmark AHB-2 amplifier to the legacy Parsaound Halo JC-1 monoblock?

I currently have a system with Parasound JC-1 monoblocks powering Paradigm Persona 3 floorstanders. There is also a powered sub integrated in the system for a 2.1 system.

During the summer, the heat given off by the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks is unbearable, even just when powered on but not being used. Their heat makes the A/C work harder which is having a tough time keeping up with the 100+ degree heat we get.

Because of this, during the summer, the system spends a majority of the time off and unused.

The Benchmark AHB-2 is different amp technology and runs considerably cooler than the JC-1. I'm seriously considering getting one even just as a "summer amp" so I can listen to the system without it being unbearably hot.

My questions:
1) Does anyone have experience with the Benchmark AHB-2? I understand it measures well and runs cool, but how does it sound and/or integrate with systems?
2) Does anyone have any experience with both the Benchmark and the Parasound Halo?
3) Would a single ~$3K Benchmark AHB-2 stereo amp be a notable sonic downgrade from a pair of Parasound JC-1 monoblocks (~$9k retail at the time, but the new ones are like double).
4) Would a single Benchmark AHB-2 stereo amp be sufficient to properly drive a pair of Parasound Persona 3 speakers to at least moderate levels for all genres of music? By moderate I mean satisfyingly loud, but not so loud that you feel any pain or noticeable temporary hearing loss. Would the fact that there is a sub crossed over at 50Hz and the amp will not be asked to produce material below that make a difference?

Is this worth trying?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning

30-DAY RISK FREE TRIAL​

HPA4_Silver_M0-closecropped_large.jpg

30-DAY RISK-FREE TRIAL (UNITED STATES ONLY)​

I would think, the best way to find out is to order it, listen in your home, and see what you think.

OP
X

xirtam2005

30-DAY RISK FREE TRIAL​

HPA4_Silver_M0-closecropped_large.jpg

30-DAY RISK-FREE TRIAL (UNITED STATES ONLY)​

I would think, the best way to find out is to order it, listen in your home, and see what you think.
That's good to know - thanks. Still interested in others first-hand experience with this before giving it a try.

I'm a bit further south and hotter than you, so you know what I'm talking about with summers.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's good to know - thanks. Still interested in others first-hand experience with this before giving it a try.

I'm a bit further south and hotter than you, so you know what I'm talking about with summers.
LOL. I do! I don't critically listen to music during the summer due to the air conditioner noise in my HT room.
If I do, it will be early in the day when I can cool off the room to 74deg, and then I have about 30-40 minutes of listening time before it hits 78-79.
I had the same JC-1 monoblocks and I do remember the heat especially if you flip that switch in the back for them to run 10Watt in pure class A.
Now, downsized to Denon avr-8500 which also runs hot.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 95

PGAMiami

I replaced Constellation Centaur mono with a pair of AHB2s. Never looked back. John Curl was involved in the design of the Constellation. I would think the Parasound JC amps may have a similar sound. I don’t feel there is anything the AHB2s don’t do as well or better. I’m using 4 AHB2S in a bi amp and this runs much cooler than a pair of Constellation. I now have an active bi amo set up, so 4 Constellation would have been very expensive and energy inefficient. The Benchmark are dead quiet and silky smooth with no crossover distortion. I expect Benchmark will let you try a pair so you can decide if you want 0, 1 or 2.

Top Bottom