• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark’s HPA 4 reviewed

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wow, is it really £3,295? For a headphone amplifier?

I hope you sell it.

Nybto

Forum Donor
A headphone amplifier, and a parallel pre-amplifier. Each with this OTT resistor ladder volume control. It must have about 3,295 resistors in it.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Each with this OTT resistor ladder volume control. It must have about 3,295 resistors in it.

3295 resistors? 256 levels is 8 relays, they have 24 relays on each board. Here is a picture of where your money goes. It looks to be beautifully made, albeit rather expensive.

“The line amplifier incorporates the finest gold-contact relays available. The gain control has 256 steps in 0.5 dB increments. It also features a balance control. Relay closures are precisely timed to deliver silky-smooth volume changes. No other relay gain control offers this level of precision and performance. The HPA4 includes 4 independent 256-step attenuators: two for the L&R headphone outputs, and two for the L&R line outputs. To make this all happen, the HPA4 includes a total of 64 precision relays.”

I can see a likely 48 relays, so there must be another 16 hidden on the rear PCB and/or main PCB.

guts.jpg

Could you post your asinine comments elsewhere , thanks

I was being serious, and nice, wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

I expect a timely apology, Keith.

Last edited:

Nybto

Forum Donor
Disingenuous would have been my word... Sorry for that.

So what do think of those ribbons, they look a bit lightweight to me. Are they better than they look?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Could you post your asinine comments elsewhere , thanks
Keith

You too.

Unless you can specifically refute John's considered, experienced, technical assessment. Your expertise is in sales, I believe, is it not?

Daverz

Major Contributor
You too.

Unless you can specifically refute John's considered, experienced, technical assessment. Your expertise is in sales, I believe, is it not?

The original comment was a stupid one about this being just a headphone amp, not a "technical assessment". Hey, everyone should be allowed some stupid comments, but let's not expect apologies for being called out for it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The original comment was a stupid one about this being just a headphone amp, not a "technical assessment". Hey, everyone should be allowed some stupid comments, but let's not expect apologies for being called out for it.

On this forum 'stupid' can be challenged even if it is popular opinion. The problem is only a problem when the challenge is deemed not permissable.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...The original comment was a stupid one about this being just a headphone amp...

Well, let's face facts, it is just a headphone amplifier, and I was in shock at the price in pounds when I looked it up. I wished Keith all the best in selling it as he will likely not be knocked over in the rush of willing purchasers.

And that is a stupid comment huh? :facepalm:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Well, let's face facts, it is just a headphone amplifier, and I was in shock at the price in pounds when I looked it up. I wished Keith all the best in selling it as he will likely not be knocked over in the rush of willing purchasers.

And that is a stupid comment huh? :facepalm:

It's not just a headphone amplifier. It's essentially the LA4 line pre-amp with a headphone section.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/benchmark-la4-line-amplifier

Wombat

Master Contributor
And you are giving restorer-john a pass for a stupid comment because he is "of the tribe".

I take posts on their face value plus credible support - that can include the member's/poster's experience, expertise and forum credibility. No infallibility claimed. Instant experts and emotional arguers beware.:cool:

Or maybe that is your way of saying John knows more than you, on the subject.:facepalm:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's not just a headphone amplifier. It's essentially the LA4 line pre-amp with a headphone section.

Yes, we know that. It's got some line inputs and a few line outputs and a lot of relays among other things. Oh, and a nice miniature touch screen too.

And your point is?

Wombat

Master Contributor
No more personal comments please.

Is this comment related to the Restorer John 'stupid comment' claim(post #10) or my response?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
"She got me out of bed in those first 12 weeks, she got me running and training as hard as I could."

She needed him playing cricket again as they were running out of money. :)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I was in London I would definitely hunt down a headphone amplifier made by Benchmark, bring in my headphones, and have a nice long listen.

Thanks for posting Keith.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes, I am not sure why John felt the need to disparage the HPA4 , Benchmark are a pretty solid foo-free company in my estimation.
In terms of price I have no say, just sent the RRP from the U.K. distributor.
Keith

Top Bottom