• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 8.2%

• Total voters

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, I cannot see why they received these patents. The 1st one is just how to spiral a balanced cable with mostly air around the conductors which other people have already done in the past. The 2nd is about how this method reduces propagation delay and inductance at audio frequencies. Again don't see a patent in that.
The US patent system is, frankly, terrible. I know someone who got a patent on coextruding sheathing around a foam despite it being a standard in the cabling industry for 80 years or more. The examiner is unable to look past patent data so would be unaware that you can buy a machine off the shelf to do this. And unlike the EU, the examiner will not consider or even look at any prior art brought up in the examination process by any third party.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A patent is not worth the shoes it's made of.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm still trying to figure out the significance of this.
He's a special kind of guy.
With cash to grease the patents machine. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The US patent system is, frankly, terrible.
The only question you have to ask is,
Who's got a better one ???

Martini

Forum Donor
Yeah, I cannot see why they received these patents. The 1st one is just how to spiral a balanced cable with mostly air around the conductors which other people have already done in the past. The 2nd is about how this method reduces propagation delay and inductance at audio frequencies. Again don't see a patent in that.
Nordost did or does with some of there audiophoolery cables.

DonR

Major Contributor
I used to work for Motorola in the early 90's and the lawyers instructed management to crank up the patent output. I guess they discovered patent trolling could be at least as lucrative as selling actual equipment and services. Some of the things they would try and patent were bizarre like connectors that were invented just for a patent application but never used or even made.

Martini

Forum Donor
My brother works in the HiTech Fixture testing industry. He relayed a story about a line the of product they had developed & produced for some time, 15-yrs (?) and the tech was fairly well know by that time. Either a competitor or China patented specifics and effectively killed that line for them. At that point, the patent was used only for competitive purposes, not for protection of intellectual property newly developed, but they put in the work to request it. They learned a lesson and cover their development better now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The US patent system is, frankly, terrible.
The only question you have to ask is,
Who's got a better one ???
Wrong. The right question is always: what's wrong with this and how do we make it better?
Ok, same same thought process.
In this case SIY had made a shot on the US system, so a compare was the question.
Personally I don't think any of them are worth the paper they're written on in todays world.
Mostly just a money grab by the applier. LOL

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wrong. The right question is always: what's wrong with this and how do we make it better?
The way to make it better is well known, but will not happen here. Have a public period for anyone to present prior art.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Chinese one? LOL
Belden is headquartered in the St. Louis, MO area, and is actually just a few blocks away from my house. They have cable manufacturing (copper drawing, etc.) plants all over the world, but I know one of their largest factories is in Richmond, Indiana.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Data point: I bragged to my date that I was using Belden Iconoclast speaker cable and the panties dropped like they were made of neutron star matter.
It's a fact: chicks dig cables.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Adam, really??? LOL

BTW Love your avitar
Yes, we got complaints. Outside of the Humor thread think pg-13. We do have Female Members so try to be gentlemen.

Thanks on the Avatar. Brings back memories of being at Sea. Life aboard ship was so different. :cool:

Top Bottom