• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 8.2%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At $800 I expect it to be 60ft long and make me coffee in the morning. No amount of build quality justifies a 6ft cable being that much.
Right? They should take themselves behind my rack and plug themselves in for that price.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Right? They should take themselves behind my rack and plug themselves in for that price.
It’s basically just jewelry for people who want to bring friends over and show off. The funny thing though, as this hobby is niche, most people got no clue what’s going on or even care about that lol

If you told your friend who knows nothing about audio that you spend a couple grand on 4, 5 or 6 cables they would think you lost your marbles

I also tell people as pointed out with headphones or reality wise with all components.. the cabling inside is not going to be a $100/foot so not sure what that interconnect is going to do. Even the ones that do, ie kitsune edition for halo, you got no clue what that cable is really compromised of but clearly profit outweighs anything.

You would assume if audioquest for example had any common sense they would try to have their product used for internal wiring. Yet at the same time you probably don’t want to bring attention to that crucial point which might make people consider the very point I bring up

Lastly, if you wish to believe it makes a difference I ain’t mad at you. Everyone is entitled to their own imagination. We all live in some level of imagination. But please don’t go and buy that. DIY for the love of god. Complete cables cost like 4x as much as diy and if you feel you can’t do it which is the thought in so many peoples minds. You can pay someone a couple 100 to do it for you and still save thousands

soundtrane

Dealer
Does anyone know which Belden cable is used to make this 'iconoclaust' cable by BJC?

soundtrane

Dealer
I vaguely remember it being a custom cable made for them.
Ok. I have used belden bulk cable a lot over the years. So i wondered how i missed this particular one.

It seems this is not available as bulk cable from Belden.

soundtrane

Dealer
I did find US patent numbers on the Belden site.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 4.55.28 PM.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an embarrassment that Belden allowed their name to be associated with this cable,
Very surprising. Their main customer base is industrial and engineering; maybe they figured no one will know or care. Which is most likely the case. Why not take audiophile money? On the bright side it's probably a better cable than most audiophile garbage.

soundtrane

Dealer
I am in total agreement with folks who are critical about Belden's involvement in this "venture".

But who knows who takes decisions out there nowadays - I know of manufacturing companies that have been handed down to the next gen / sold to conglomerate companies and things have gone awry...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah, I think there are two different and basically non-overlapping markets.
Even so, the name "Belden" (like Mogami and Canare) has some brand recognition and, more to the point, cachet, even with the audiophile market.
A match made in heaven.
... and I think it goes without saying that audiophiles are iconoclasts. Well, they want to be iconoclasts. Well... they want to be perceived as iconoclasts. ;)

Heck, McIntosh makes a clock.
There's lots of room in 'tech' for silly products -- especially silly, overpriced products.

mcclock_townhouse.jpg

The McIntosh MCLK12 mantle clock is a celebration of time while being a tribute to classic McIntosh design. Constructed with the signature McIntosh blue watt meters, the MCLK12 demonstrates the same easy to read visual interface. Blue meter lighting may be switched on or off from the front panel, or by other McIntosh components, depending on the viewing conditions. The faceplate is the same width as other McIntosh equipment, allowing for rack placement; also wall or shelf mountable.

soundtrane

Dealer

1800$

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... but a veritable bargain compared to some of the Iconoclast cables.

:cool:

PS I've gotta admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of what the "minutes" meter does on the hour. I wonder if the meter ballistics are true to McIntosh form?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I think there are two different and basically non-overlapping markets.
Even so, the name "Belden" (like Mogami and Canare) has some brand recognition and, more to the point, cachet, even with the audiophile market.
A match made in heaven.
... and I think it goes without saying that audiophiles are iconoclasts. Well, they want to be iconoclasts. Well... they want to be perceived as iconoclasts. ;)

There's lots of room in 'tech' for silly products -- especially silly, overpriced products.

mcclock_townhouse.jpg

A celebration of time lol!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... but a veritable bargain compared to some of the Iconoclast cables.

:cool:

PS I've gotta admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of what the "minutes" meter does on the hour. I wonder if the meter ballistics are true to McIntosh form?
It's only $1800. Buy a couple and see!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wonder if it improves the sound like the Tice clock... Probably just as much. ;)

Top Bottom