• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 8.2%

• Total voters

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Electrically it performs identical to any other cable. It costs hugely more, is stiff and not user-friendly, and may damage plugs over time. There's not one single advantage vs pedestrian cables and a few negatives. It is thicker and non durable. There's no reason to buy it.
If we're talking about common sense and practical uses there are not a whole lot of reasons to spend this much on audio cable, that I agree.
If we base on objective measurements and testing in the past it should head us to the direction that "a proper cable should sound like any others" and I agree too
If we compare this product in the sea of "audiophile cables" though, I still think this one is considerably more attractive than many others in the market. It is stiff yet I've seen stiffer, it costs much yet there are more ridiculous offerings, it has claims from the company that the company itself does not show evidence to back up their claim, but so do the rest.

I'm just giving it it's fair dues.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Once under electricity not all atoms on different materials react identically. Silver atoms need longer to get aligned, other don't but lose their structure sooner once desconnected. This could translate into different listening experiences. Or at least other kind of measurements than what Amir is doing.
Audio frequencies are the lowest of the low for goodness sake. The cables I found 'did' make a kind of difference tend to me multi-plated types (silver plated copper in necessary ptfe jackets that actually offer very low cross section in speaker cables and a niche interconnect made with RG316U, which is silver over copper plated steel from memory).

I repeat, our ears and hearing as a species is crap frankly and as I understand it from those who know, our eyesight accounts for around 70% or more of our brain's processing (one reason I suspect why we can't 'hear' differences so much when blindfolded!)

D

Deleted member 46664

Again, can you prove that? How?

@amirm just did. He measured the cable's behaviour and found no difference.

I should clarify ... You probably will hear a difference when you first hook these up... we all do... but that difference comes down to perception and expectation ... psychology not science.

D

Deleted member 46664

If we're talking about common sense and practical uses there are not a whole lot of reasons to spend this much on audio cable, that I agree.
If we base on objective measurements and testing in the past it should head us to the direction that "a proper cable should sound like any others" and I agree too
If we compare this product in the sea of "audiophile cables" though, I still think this one is considerably more attractive than many others in the market. It is stiff yet I've seen stiffer, it costs much yet there are more ridiculous offerings, it has claims from the company that the company itself does not show evidence to back up their claim, but so do the rest.

I'm just giving it it's fair dues.

Budget overpriced is still overpriced.

Why would anyone spend $780 for $12.00 worth of performance? That's just stupid.

Nango

Major Contributor
Audio frequencies are the lowest of the low for goodness sake. The cables I found 'did' make a kind of difference tend to me multi-plated types (silver plated copper in necessary ptfe jackets that actually offer very low cross section in speaker cables and a niche interconnect made with RG316U, which is silver over copper plated steel from memory).

I repeat, our ears and hearing as a species is crap frankly and as I understand it from those who know, our eyesight accounts for around 70% or more of our brain's processing (one reason I suspect why we can't 'hear' differences so much when blindfolded!)
I wasn't primary talking on our audible range as Amir measures often 122 dB Vs 120 dB on DACs which is also not audible. Just saying his might be not the right approach with cables.

Sputnik

If we know that different conductor materials DO react different once exposed to electricity (this is fact!!) but we measure always the same results, it is more and more clear to me Amir's APx2555 is NOT the proper approach when testing cables ......

Could this different behaviour of the cristalline structure of cables/materials translate into however which but different sound experience or measurements? Think this should be the question to get focused on.
Can you link us some double blind tests where listeners consequently pick the fancy expensive cables as the best?

If they really do what they claim, filling a page with proof should be easy. If you can't tell which is better in a blind test, there is no reason to pay the hefty premium, I hope you can agree on that?

Performing such tests would only cost a fraction of the marketing budget of these cable companies. Yet they only pay for subjective sighted reviews. Isn't that weird?

Tinfoil is a different material than hair (this is fact!!), but that doesn't mean you should wear it on your head when looking at cables.

nyxnyxnyx

Budget overpriced is still overpriced.

Why would anyone spend $780 for $12.00 worth of performance? That's just stupid.
Yes, if they bought into the subjective claims and did not try to objectively test it than that's a little silly.
But why would anyone buy it? Honestly, maybe brand name and aesthetic, along with customer service (if they are good) I suppose.
Once again you are referring to the price. I have no disagreement with that, the price is very high.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I've no idea how to rate something that works perfectly well but can be replaced with something else much cheaper that also works perfectly well.

Need the piggy bank panther.

Upon reflection:
It does its job, so not terrible. It costs a bunch, that isn't fine or great. So... not terrible.
............uhm, I do............:rolleyes:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Opinion:

Belden knows cables intimately. Not only the technical aspect of all things cable, but also, the cable and wires Market. The objective audiophile is , by now I hope, fully aware of the extraordinary (insane?) price of audiophile cables, thus the astronomical margins that those products provide.
HEA (High End Audio) manufacturer A, takes some basic copper cable likely made by Belden itself, dresses it with some inexpensive but good looking sheath, tacks some well-made but still "normally"-priced connectors at each end; invents a story and sends said cable to a reviewer. Once the cable arrives, in a great-looking box that could make Apple jealous, ..., the soundstage opens even more, becomes clearer, more defined, the separation between instruments becomes more pronounced, yet more realistic. Diana Krall, who up to then, was only in the room, is now seating on your lap, licking you with her lyrics, while the bass now, is something you weren't ever expecting from your $35,000, single driver and bandwidth-limited mini-monitor...
Total cost cost of manufacture of such competitor cable , perhaps $250... I am being generous.. Price of the ware? $15,000.oo.
Science backup of such cable? :rolleyes: .., Quantum Tunneling , cryogenic treatment perhaps ultra high-purity 99.999999% copper, ... vacuum deposited soldering.. graphene granules acting as micro-Shock absorbers perhaps ? Why not? nanotech intonations, somewhere in the marketing blubber .

Now you have Belden. They know how to make the wires. Even the subjective audiophile knows they are the real thing. Belden knows there is a market... Belden taps into the market, Belden keeps the price low enough so that it seems to abide to Belden philosophy, but makes sure there is something scientific behind it and perhaps there is, but all that , knowing for well, such differences are not audible. Now Belden is in HEA conversation

Subjective reviewer receives the Belden cable, find it superb, perhaps better than all such cables costing less than $7500.oo. He loved it so much, he had to keep the review sample. Boom! A new market opens for Belden. Could well be for, them one of the the quickest to add a few millions to their coffers.
================

Not pleased by this Belden stunt, but .. I am fully aware we are living in a capitalist world ...

Peace.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

Yes, if they bought into the subjective claims and did not try to objectively test it than that's a little silly.
But why would anyone buy it? Honestly, maybe brand name and aesthetic, along with customer service (if they are good) I suppose.
Once again you are referring to the price. I have no disagreement with that, the price is very high.

Actually ... I don't much care how much money my friends and clients waste on cables. That's their own foolishness and none of my business.

However; when I am assuming the warranty for a rather expensive piece of equipment, I do care that they aren't breaking it with their idiocy. My conditions always state that broken connectors and damaged face plates are not covered. You break the connectors or bend that back panel, I go to hourly rates... and I've been known to work rather slowly at times.

nyxnyxnyx

Actually ... I don't much care how much money my friends and clients waste on cables. That's their own foolishness and none of my business.

However; when I am assuming the warranty for a rather expensive piece of equipment, I do care that they aren't breaking it with their idiocy. My conditions always state that broken connectors and damaged face plates are not covered. You break the connectors or bend that back panel, I go to hourly rates... and I've been known to work rather slowly at times.
Good to know your conditions. I am not sure how those cable audios provide their warranty, but I've read one or two cases about replacing the broken old one for a new one, and that was a ridiculously-priced cable. I guess it must have been cheap to make one, and to people who believe in fancy cables that probably sounds like a good deal.
In the end this cable is fine... as any other cables. It's just the price and the wide claims enthusiasts should consider before buying. If they are aware that they will be spending extra on non-audio factors then it's their personal preference. It's better that than being tricked by salesmen.

D

Deleted member 46664

Good to know your conditions. I am not sure how those cable audios provide their warranty, but I've read one or two cases about replacing the broken old one for a new one, and that was a ridiculously-priced cable. I guess it must have been cheap to make one, and to people who believe in fancy cables that probably sounds like a good deal.
In the end this cable is fine... as any other cables. It's just the price and the wide claims enthusiasts should consider before buying. If they are aware that they will be spending extra on non-audio factors then it's their personal preference. It's better that than being tricked by salesmen.

I guess you didn't get the point .... the cables are breaking amplifiers.

Why are you trying to justify what is obviously a complete rip-off?

nyxnyxnyx

I guess you didn't get the point .... the cables are breaking amplifiers.

Why are you trying to justify what is obviously a complete rip-off?
I'm not? I'm saying that if people want to buy it based on non-audio factors then it's their preference and it's their choice as long as they are aware of what are they getting. Did you see me backing up their sound quality claims or saying the price is very suitable for the performance? If I did anything here I theorized why people might pay extra for non-performance factors.

I also said this cable is working finely and there are way worse cables shown in the previous tests on this forum (either priced higher, actually adds more distortion or both). Can you tell me why this is not correct?

I do not know about this cable breaking amplifiers though. If any cables do that then it's pretty much unusable.

Ismapics

I have used Belden in the Ham Radio hobby and in fact they are the best quality our there. However, this is just audio jewelry. If you have the means and want to waste $800 go at it. Just like a new shirt or watch it will make you feel better for a while.

nyxnyxnyx

Amir even mentioned it in his review.

These stallion's dong sized cables are well known for breaking things, by the service community.
I must have missed that, thank you for pointing that out.
It sucks if our devices break just because of such an avoidable design like that.

Top Bottom