• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 8.2%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe with an RF network analyzer you'd see something interesting? Wouldn't matter for audio, but might shed light on what they were trying to accomplish.
What they were trying to accomplish for audio applications?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thought provoking review. No surprise that the cable doesn't make any difference!

What's interesting is that the company seems genuine in its intention. Not 'snake oil' but some sort of fundamental blindness to the basic issue that there's just nothing to hear.
Astounding waste of time and money.

Or, as Amir says, they just need to run proper blind tests and then we can look again.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought provoking review. No surprise that the cable doesn't make any difference!

What's interesting is that the company seems genuine in its intention. Not 'snake oil' but some sort of fundamental blindness to the basic issue that there's just nothing to hear.
Astounding waste of time and money.

Or, as Amir says, they just need to run proper blind tests and then we can look again.
Lots of companies are genuine in their intention to sell you whatever....and some of the 'phool stuff is said to be helmed by "true believers".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought BJC was above this sort of high priced stuff. :facepalm:
Same here. I voted Poor and it saddens me to do so.
I took a sort of pride in recommending BJC so many times over the years. I was so happy to point folks at
a place where they could buy great cables at reasonable prices and not get handed a line of snake-oil crap marketing.
BJC, if your reading this review, drop this line of ICONOCRAP cables, they have no place in your lineup of "quality cables at reasonable prices". :mad:
Until that happens, going forward I will only recommend Amazon's WBC cables which greatly pains me as I'm not a fan of Amazons 'conquer the world" marketing approach either. :(

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It would take I'm guessing ~26 of them would be required to be able to afford this $785.00 cable. :D Too rich for my blood...lol
Oof.
So many jokes in there. So many opportunities to catch a suspension! :p

*walks quietly past
:cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
we see no data that backs Iconoclast cables sounding different. How could that be after tons of measurements and formulas in the company white paper? Well, the heart of it is this statement at the end of one:

Iconoclast cable sound different.png

The fact that cables sound difference was taken as a given.
And that's because of the all-too-common baseline assumption that, "if I can hear it with sighted listening, it's in the sound waves".

You can do triple-backflips with the science and engineering of electronics and materials and electromagnetic fields and have multiple PhD's in all that stuff, but without enough basic knowledge of human perception mechanisms, it is all a house of cards.

cheers

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too, Amir is soooo stingy with his emojis selection. LOL
I don't even want to go into the "emoji menu".....just would prefer like/dislike/funny/optimistic type choices as many fora have

formula 977

How many more times do we need AmirM to tell us if you get punched in the face it hurts.
Enough with the ”it's just wire“ already. We get the picture.

Universal Cereal Bus

I thought BJC was above this sort of high priced stuff. :facepalm:
Blue Jeans always seems to find itself at the center of these things.

Naturally, Michael "Bits are not Bits" Lavorgna fails to see the forest for the trees.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How many more times do we need AmirM to tell us if you get punched in the face it hurts.
Enough with the ”it's just wire“ already. We get the picture.
ASR still gets peeps here after all these reviews about cables that are thinking the science cannot measure and determine if a cable is good or bad. It's as if they think cable technology is still a developing technology and the musical waveform is not understood.:facepalm:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Blue Jeans always seems to find itself at the center of these things.

Naturally, Michael "Bits are not Bits" Lavorgna fails to see the forest for the trees.
My internet allergies just went wild with the mention of that superd*ck Lavorgna. I can think of few people in audio I think less of....and they're mostly on staff with him too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe with an RF network analyzer you'd see something interesting? Wouldn't matter for audio, but might shed light on what they were trying to accomplish.
I think they were trying to disassociate themselves directly from this expensive wire and at the same time keeping themselves in the loop to profit from this expensive wire. Don't need RF even in the terahertz range to figure that out.

Universal Cereal Bus

My internet allergies just went wild with the mention of that superd*ck Lavorgna. I can think of few people in audio I think less of....and they're mostly on staff with him too.
Despite the annoyance and inconvenience of having to use archive.org to cite his drivel, I ultimately derive a sublime pleasure from this exercise. I'm not merely remembering that he got shit-canned. The extra key strokes, the additional googling--my whole being participates in a remembrance ceremony.

beeface

I can understand why people are disappointed in BJC, but what I truly don't understand is how much Belden stand to gain from getting a piece of the audiophile-grade snake oil pie?

In the commercial AV industry, Belden cable is the de facto brand of choice for many types of structured cabling. Their cable is also extremely popular in data and telecommunications. If I had to guess, I'd say that a miniscule fraction of their total revenue comes from cable sold for domestic use.

I know it must be tempting for startups to dip their toe in this market segment when you see the absurd margins that other companies are enjoying, but it perplexes me why a company as large as Belden would even bother.

Top Bottom