• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 8.2%

• Total voters

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If we know that different conductor materials DO react different once exposed to electricity (this is fact!!) but we measure always the same results, it is more and more clear to me Amir's APx2555 is NOT the proper approach when testing cables ......

Could this different behaviour of the cristalline structure of cables/materials translate into however which but different sound experience or measurements? Think this should be the question to get focused on.
No. :facepalm:

elvisizer

Do you guys think this cable is effective or a gimmick at negating external noise/interference?
star quad geometry isn't a gimmick but that cable is at that price!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
All you need to do is find anyone, anywhere that can demonstrate that they can differentiate between them under controlled conditions. At that point, which will never happen, let's revisit what is missing.
Thank you! This is all settled science and has been for the last 80 years or more. People just don't know anything about the audio arena and have to believe the marketing, because we all know the companies would not lie!

elvisizer

If we know that different conductor materials DO react different once exposed to electricity (this is fact!!)
quite a leap from that premise to "we should expect to see measurable differences in audio signals travelling over cables made from different conductor materials!"
you've got some experiments to run and results to post before this is proven.

Geert

Major Contributor
All you need to do is find anyone, anywhere that can demonstrate that they can differentiate between them under controlled conditions.

Strange there are no candidates to accept this challenge. The one who can prove to hear what can't be detected via a null test would become the most famous audiophile in history. No need to work anymore, just travel around the world on invitation of the most exclusive audio brands to lend them your ears. And a wildcard to make fun of ASR as much as you want.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It works exactly as we thought any well made balanced $785 XLR cable would--flawlessly. And its value proposition must be considered to be exactly the same as any balanced $785 XLR cable irrespective of how well made or how performant--an obscene ripoff.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Back in the Day" I spec'd (then later, demanded) electrical contractors run Belden cable for DMX (RS-422/85) house runs.
(Thousands of jobs.)
I never had a problem with their cables, but nearly every other 'wiring problem' my techs came across were related to 'it's just the same as belden but much much cheaper' claims. Wasn't worth the tech costs to fix and usually had to force the contractor to pull new.
There's also a durability issue with cables (and conn's) used for road gear that can easily justify the cost of sturdier stuff.
So, be proud of Belden stuff!

anphex

Forum Donor
They nicely intercepted my order and asked if intended to review them.
It's funny to imagine multiple manufacturers having a poster saying "BEWARE OF THIS MAN" and a portrait of Amir hanging in every office.
:D:D:D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Once under electricity not all atoms on different materials react identically. Silver atoms need longer to get aligned, other don't but lose their structure sooner once desconnected. This could translate into different listening experiences. Or at least other kind of measurements than what Amir is doing.
Please please please tell me you weren't one of my students. Or if you were, that you didn't pass.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It's funny to imagine multiple manufacturers having a poster saying "BEWARE OF THIS MAN" and a portrait of Amir hanging in every office.
:D:D:D
When I was in Fine Dining establishments, everybody had photos of the main restaurant reviewers posted BOH so all the staff could recognize them if they came in.
Though for all the fake mustaches drawn on the photos and other off color jokes, I don't know how anybody could have possibly recognized MB unless he came in with a sharpie drawing of a c0ck on his right cheek. o_O :eek: :p

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if that would make us any wiser, because according to this article:

"He (* Gareis) admits to hearing a difference between the various copper variants – and agrees it isn’t measurable. And that is why the cables are offered in a variety of copper pulls. Each pair of Iconoclast cables have similar LCR values, are built with exactly the same dielectric, geometry, and connectors. Any audible differences would only be attributed to the copper used."

Not measurable, and no difference in a null test. Hearing is believing ...
I think you will enjoy the video I linked above.

KEFCarver

Maybe with an RF network analyzer you'd see something interesting? Wouldn't matter for audio, but might shed light on what they were trying to accomplish.
Most RF network analyzers don't go down lower than 1Mhz and are designed for 50ohm impedances, so the testing would not be of much value for Audio... Also, it was nice to see the inductance and capacitance specified for the cables as well as the type of equipment they used to measure it :) Another great review!!!!

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Thanks to this thread I have been able to remedy a big problem with my system and lift some veils. I realized one of my silver interconnects was installed in the wrong direction, so it was taking the molecules longer align themselves in that cable (the interconnects are singles, so one per channel). The corresponding 0.000000001 millisecond of delay with respect to the other channel was causing all sorts of phase shifts. But now I have both interconnects installed in the same direction, and they are totally in sync. And I also now start the music 0.000000000001 milliseconds earlier than I used to, so no more initial timing delay! I am enjoying complete sonic bliss. My mother-in-law is speechless -- she just called from her overseas vacation to tell me she could hear a real improvement in my system (but of course I could not hear her because she was speechless). /s :D

anphex

Forum Donor
I wish the HiFI "scientists and experts" would finally have mercy and support the researchers at CERN and ITER with their secret knowledge, so that we finally get quantum physics and fission energy solved.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ironic really ‘Iconoclast’ debunked by Amir who is an iconoclast .
Keith

Celty

All my XLR interconnects are the World's Best Cable that you use for the reference cable. Always fun to see purchases were a good decision. I have been quite happy with them. To me, they are the right balance between high quality components / quality construction and price.

Top Bottom