• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beirut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly shocking to watch, a complete failure to protect the public by someone.

The only other thing I've seen of a similar scale is the following.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly shocking to watch, a complete failure to protect the public by someone.

The only other thing I've seen of a similar scale is the following.
Yes this reminded me of Tianjin as well. What shocks me is the second explosion detonated an estimated 800 tons of ammonium nitrate, and Beirut is estimated to have detonated 2700 tons...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Looking at a map, I think that viewer was about 4,600 feet away, using the St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church as the major defining landmark..

1596665318814.png

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

a mirror caught an image of the drone:

1597828736997.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If there are any members here affected by this tragedy, my deepest condolences and please let us know the best way to help from an on-the-ground perspective. There are lots of aid organizations, but from here it's hard to know which ones are most effective on the ground.

Hopefully this tragedy will be a wake-up call all over the world. Dangerous materials are stored unsafely everywhere in the world, sometimes with consequences that can be bad in their own right, if not destructive on this scale. For example, a few years ago substances left under an overpass caught fire melted the concrete bridge, severing one of the two major arteries of Atlanta for months.
I grew up near a major fertilizer manufacturer, Cominco(now https://www.teck.com/ ). By the trainloads they made it. We used that explosive mix stuff all the time. Until a prick set a garbage can off with diesel beside the Provincial Gov building. It blew out the windows in local 2 churches and lots of downtown buildings. I lived downtown when it happened. It reverberated between the valley sides for some I guess 15 seconds. I was shocked to hear it as I was sleeping and woke up to the bouncing sound waves off the valley mountains. Canada is not all peaches and cream! :facepalm:

Apparently now they coat the nitrate fertilizer with some sort of decelerant. That stops the mad bombers of this world.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Feanor

Forum Donor
An explosion of very similar magnitude, 2.9 kilotons of TNT, happened in Halifax harbor in 1917. That explosion hasn't ammonium nitrate but military munitions, so not exactly comparable other than the magnitude.

The Halifax explosion killed about 2000 people and injured over 9000. It was considered to be the largest human caused explosion in history to the time. From the perspective, maybe, the citizens of Beirut got off relatively lucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You just re-cited it.

There is an intellectual distinction to be drawn between “citing” and “exposing” propaganda.

Whose propaganda would be prefereable to cite?

Drop the post-modernist idiocy. I realize there’s a...basket of Americans who are ride or die for making Russia great again, but patriotic Americans are uninterested in that project.

EB1000

Well, if you go to sleep next to explosives, don't be surprised to wake up to a disaster... No country governed by terrorists can be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom