• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer UMC204HD DAC output way too low for Kali LP6

abrxxx

Please help. I've got a mac with a Behringer UMC204HD connected via TRS->XLR cable to my Kali LP6. While the output is fine for background listening, its just not loud enough. I'm using Roon with volume levelling and EQ, so as you know that lowers the average output even more.

So what to do?

I see Amir recommends the Schit FREYA S preamp, but at $600USD that's 3x the cost of my DAC (<$200CAD I think). It sort of defeats the whole value proposition of the Behringer. I was using an old studio mixing desk I had to boost up the volume, but it was dying and distorting the audio, so I removed it, and now I am back to a quiet sound. Like many of you around here, I like my music loud, and need to fix this :)

Any suggestions that won't cost too much? I suppose I am looking for at least 4V of output right? Is there a cheap but high quality pre-amp? Or am I better getting a DAC that offers a clean high voltage output?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So what to do?
According to the manual, the Behringer will output the same +3dBu (=1.1Vrms) signal amplitude regardless of what Line out port you use.

Since the LP6 is actually 12dB quieter if you input audio via XLR or TRS instead of RCA, you should get significantly more volume by going UMC204-> RCA to RCA -> LP6.

Lastly, it's always a good idea to have a multimeter nearby so that you can make sure you're getting the voltages you're supposed to.
Even cheap, $15 multimeters are good enough for that.

OP
A

abrxxx

According to the manual, the Behringer will output the same +3dBu (=1.1Vrms) signal amplitude regardless of what Line out port you use.

Since the LP6 is actually 12dB quieter if you input audio via XLR or TRS instead of RCA, you should get significantly more volume by going UMC204-> RCA to RCA -> LP6.

Lastly, it's always a good idea to have a multimeter nearby so that you can make sure you're getting the voltages you're supposed to.
Even cheap, $15 multimeters are good enough for that.
So much for my superior XLR set-up :)
I hadn't realized the Kali RCA outputs had so much gain. I have them switched off, as per Kali to lower the noise floor (since they were un-used). But to try this is free, assuming I can find a suitable cable floating around my office. Thanks for the suggestion!

And 1.1V output on a XLR output is a joke! I have 4V RMS in my head as the expected output of a balanced XLR connection.

I do have a multi-meter in my tool kit. Never thought of using it in this application. Good tip.

OP
A

abrxxx

So much for my superior XLR set-up :)
I hadn't realized the Kali RCA outputs had so much gain. I have them switched off, as per Kali to lower the noise floor (since they were un-used). But to try this is free, assuming I can find a suitable cable floating around my office. Thanks for the suggestion!

And 1.1V output on a XLR output is a joke! I have 4V RMS in my head as the expected output of a balanced XLR connection.

I do have a multi-meter in my tool kit. Never thought of using it in this application. Good tip.
For some reason I had in my head that to get the loudest output from the Kali's you should use the XLR input. Perhaps I have it backwards. Or perhaps that is still true, if I had a 4V rms input to them...

Top Bottom